Work Rant - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
Work Rant

Yeah, so there had been rumors for a long time that they are going to fire 10% of the employees at my company. We read about it from the newspaper, not from our management, and for a month now all we've heard has been "No comment"

So, today they finally announced officially that there will be layoffs of 5% of the workforce, concentrated mostly on marketing and development (it's a software company). Guess which department I am a part of? you get two guesses. LOL. (the answer is development, if you are curious)

If that's not bad enough, they said it will happen between Oct 1 and Oct 31. I think that is the absolute worst part of the whole thing. Not only have people been anxious and nervous and very unfocused lately, but now you are going to give them possibly another month to stew in their juices of stress and anxiety? I have seem some people really worked up and uptight for weeks about this. It's not healthy and it's not fair to do this to people.

The ironic part is that we just put a product out in my product group, and we have a celebration scheduled at Dave & Busters. I doubt many people will be too celebratory.

Personally, I'm not terribly upset. I don't really like my job much, and I definitely feel like I want to switch careers. I just don't know what yet! Thinking about potentially being laid off makes me think about it a lot more seriously. My boyfriend will hopefully finish his masters degree and get a job after the spring, and therefore I am naturally flexible to what he decides to do, since I'm not exactly emotionally attached to my job.

I feel the worst for hte people who *do* have ties here. They have families, they have morgages... one of my friends is 30, single, and just got a condo. He has been so stressed lately, and so serious (and usually he is such an upbeat and fun guy).

Ugh, it's just such an awful time to be working in the tech. industry.

Thanks for letting me rant...

*edit for typo*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Cat Addict

Good luck to you and your co-workers. I was just having a chat with an old professor (formerly in the IT industry), and he was telling me how rough it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page