Mount Saint Helens about to erupt? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mount Saint Helens about to erupt?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...lens_quakes_46

I've been keeping an eye on this because I have many close family members and friends who live in the area. Do we have any members near there? They're saying it shouldn't be as severe as the 1980 eruption, but please, if you're up there be careful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Cat

Hi Annissa!

One of the Scottish fora I watch has several members in the Vancouver area and they have been commenting on this for a couple of days. Last I saw, there was an alert to area medical facilities to be overly prepared.

I pray that it will not be a bad one and that people will not be displaced. Or worse.

Peace,
Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ForJazz did it!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Oh my. My aunt and uncle live in Washington; I don't know how close they are, though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:52 AM
Tom Cat

I live in central calif and there is alot of talk about how all the recent quake activity we've been having could be a major trigger factor in causing St. Helens eruption. Parkfield CA had a couple 6.0 and 5.9 and two days ago with over 400 aftershocks since. Last week, it was Quaileys Camp NV border, same thing. 6.0 and hundreds of back to back aftershocks in just two days. Now, it's as close as being my back yard. We had a 5.9 yesterday and a 5.0 today and back to back aftershocks that haven't stoped yet. Plus, Parkfield continues to have shakes 5.0 and higher. It's common to have 10 maybe 15 aftershocks,and small earthquakes happening all the time somewhere in calif, But what's going on right now could definately unsettle Mt. St. Helen.

I was living in oregon when it blew last time and it was not nice.

Peace,
susan

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
What is UP with all these hurricanes, volcanoes and earth quakes??? Very very strange.

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfamilia

I was living in oregon when it blew last time and it was not nice.
I was living in Pullman, WA during the last eruption. I was only a year and a half old so my mom told me all about it.

My sister, Amanda, was in the hospital in Seattle (a good six hour drive away from Pullman) and my parents had to go back to Pullman because they were managing an apartment complex. It was a Sunday but since the week had been so hard on them they skipped church. They didn't want to get caught skipping church so they shut all the lights off and kept the t.v. off. Mom was putting me down for a nap when she saw the sky turn pitch black. She didn't know what was happening.

My dad being the entrepreuer that he is, rented a power washer to help people get ash out of their driveways and roads (for a fee, of course), but the sewers were entirely blocked very quickly. There was no way to get anywhere. If you tried to drive, your engine sucked up the ash and died.

I remember a few years later seeing ash on the side of the road.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleke
What is UP with all these hurricanes, volcanoes and earth quakes??? Very very strange.
::sings::
"its the end of the world as we know it...

and I feel fine!"

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
According to the news, the earthquakes are a result of St. Helen's. And the volcano has been spurting billowing white clouds of steam today. There's a possibility that this release of steam is all that will occur. Of course, we can't ever be sure of what nature is going to do.

People have been predicting the end of the world since I can remember. If you believe the Bible, Christ said that noone will know ahead of time. One thing I know for sure, then, is that if someone is predicting it for a certain time, that's exactly when it won't happen! I do hope all in that area are safe.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Tom Cat

I heard on the news there is a 70% chanse it will blow but no one is at risk. Whatever...It's Mother Nature and she decides.

As far as the end of the world as we know it...change would be good. And if California breaks off in my back yard...well it will be a new exsperiece for me. Don't know if I've ever died before.

Give Peace a Chance...All We Need is Love...Forgive and Be Forgiven...and The World Still Turns,

susan

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
People have been predicting the end of the world since I can remember. If you believe the Bible, Christ said that noone will know ahead of time. One thing I know for sure, then, is that if someone is predicting it for a certain time, that's exactly when it won't happen!
That's exactly what I believe too! I think I might have lived through three end of the worlds so far... probably more that I am forgetting...

When those giant space rocks hit that planet (can't remember which one) but if they missed they would have hit earth. I think it was in 1994 - I think Hanna Barbera made a cartoon series that talked about it even. You think God put those planets there for a reason?

2000! When all the computers were going to go offline and we wouldn't get water or food forever.

2001 - since it didn't happen in 2000 - why not this year??

I wish I could remember the other ones... I'm sure there have been more since I was born in 1982 - can anyone think of anymore?

Anyways - I hope those people will be alright - and I hope they leave if needed... and not stay behind like some do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page