I told my mother-in-law off, and boy did it feel good! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I told my mother-in-law off, and boy did it feel good!

Hey there! Remember a couple of weeks ago when I wrote about my MIL and her dumb checkbook being off according to what the bank had, and how she told me to shut up when I explained to her that she needs to balance her checkbook every month to make sure she didn't make any adding or subtracting mistakes?

Well, she just can't bury the hatchet. Since that episode a couple of weeks ago my husband has taken her check register and compared it to her bank statements from as far back as January 2003 and has so far found about $150 in mistakes and has almost all of 2004 left to go through before he's all caught up to today.

Today is the 3rd time in 2 weeks she has been over here and argued with my husband about how the bank just has to be wrong. He was fed up with her, and we were in the middle of eating supper, so he told her to drop the issue because he didn't want to hear it right now and he just wanted to eat in peace. She look at him and told him to shut up again. I warned my husband that if I ever heard her say that to either of us again that I was going to let her have it, so I did. I told her that she can't just come over here and disrespect us like that and tell either of us to shut up in our own home, and she said "I can do whatever I want. He's my son." Son or not, we both deserve respect so I told her if she didn't like it she could just get up and walk out, so she did.

After she left I told my husband I never wanted to hear the words "shut up" in this house ever again, especially after the babies get here. That's not the only terrible thing she says. She cusses all the time. That is going to stop when she is in this house. I refuse to let my children be taught cuss words by their crabby old grandmother.

Even though I chewed her out tonight I know it did absolutely nothing to change her. She'll never change. It just made me feel better knowing that I wasn't letting her get by with treating me that way.

Well, I'd better go. Talk later!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Good for you! It may not change her, but if she cares, and continues to be excluded when she acts like that, maybe it will help. If she loves the babies ... maybe for their sake she will mellow instead of being excluded constantly from their lives. Well, we can hope at least. And you're right about keeping that away from children, they pick up on these things all the time. ... I work with young children and have seen children less than two years coping with anger/rage problems and cursing. For everyone's sake, I hope she is not like that with your children, or you do not allow her to be. You are an adult ... it is your home. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessamica8
If she loves the babies ... maybe for their sake she will mellow instead of being excluded constantly from their lives. Well, we can hope at least.
That's the sad thing. I can honestly tell you in my heart of hearts that all she cares about is how she is going to be affected after the babies get here. She is VERY selfish. This, in turn, has made it so that no one gets along with her and, therefore, she doesn't have ANY friends at all - literally! The only person she ever really talks to is her son, my husband.

She wasn't even thrilled to hear that we were expecting. All she said was, "Oh, I guess I'm happy if you're happy," and she said it in a monotone voice. Bottom line is she knows that when these babies show up her son isn't going to have as much time for her and she doesn't like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Oh, I am so sorry for you then. All the better reason to put less focus on her. You want your babies to know that they are loved, wanted, and cherished by everyone in their lives. I am so sorry you have to go through this at what could otherwise be a joyful time. This is very sad. I wish you the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 11:38 PM
Senior Cat

I guess a "you go girl!" is in order.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Senior Cat

Great job on standing up for yourself. I think now that your husband sees that you can do it, he will be able to do it as well. Way to go!

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Cat

Good for you. From experience I know how hard it is to stand up to someone like that.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

Good for you. No one deserves to be shown disrespect, especially in your own home.

Tina

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Manda-chan
I'm gonna agree with everyone else here! Good for you, and perhaps someday she'll realize.....

Amanda

Sig by ForJazz
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Cat Addict

All right for you!!!!!! Hmmmmm. *Thinks about picking up the phone and making a phone call to her OWN dear future MIL. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page