At what temperature do you start your heat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

At what temperature do you start your heat?

I woke up this morning and it was 55 degrees F.

Who knows what temperature it dropped down to while I was sleeping. It's been in the 60's, but I've been stubbornly refusing to turn on the heat because I don't want to have to start paying those sky high gas bills already - btw, my roommate said he didn't care if I turned it on or not. I keep hoping that it will warm up again, but I'm wearing a fleece top and a fleece jacket over it and I've still been freezing the last few days.

The one positive aspect of this was that Zoltan was really cuddly this morning. He often sleeps on my bed, but normally he leans against this back support thing (for sitting up in bed or on the floor) that I have against the wall. Today, I woke up with him cuddling against my head. Then later he burrowed underneath the covers and cuddled between my side and my arm. When I went to the computer, he crawled in my lap. Knievel and Jekyll were also curled up against me. I woke up at a little past 7:00 but didn't get out of bed until 8:00 because they were just so cute all cuddling against me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:29 PM
Cool Cat

My goal is always to make it through to November 1st before I start using the wood cookstove for heat and January 1st before I fire up the really big woodstove in the cellar, but it seldom happens that way. One year, we woke up Mid-October with frost on the inside of the windows and decided that it might be, um, smart to warm up the house just a bit. But in winter, there are a lot of mornings that you can see your breath until you really get the stoves going to take the chill off.

I dunno...for some reason, I am feeling very cold this fall, so it may not be long before we start the upstairs stove (and the hand that I cut in August seems to get really cold really easily because the circulation still isn't quite what it should be yet). I'm thinking next week or so, I don't want to take chances.

We have a documentary-studies student shadowing us for the next few months (apparently, she thinks we're interesting enough to document), and I felt really bad yesterday when she was standing in the kitchen in sweatshirt, fleece jacket, wooly hat, and mittens, hands wrapped around a cup of coffee. Mental note to start the stove on mornings that she's coming.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Cat Addict

I'm lucky in this aspect; our bills are included with the rent. We don't have to worry about conserving, so we use the thermostat to match how we feel.

Our house stays around 70 degrees in the winter, but that's only because we control the thermostat for te apartment downstairs. If we drop it lower than that, she freezes. I think it's great, but my boyfriend likes to sneak the windows open to cool off! LOL

Friday night it dropped to 29 here. Saturday morning the heat finally came on!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Manda-chan
It's been dipping to about 50's at night here. It's about 70 outside now, and our air is still one (but hardly running). Gas is so expensive, i think i'm going to start opening the windows soon.

Amanda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by ForJazz
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Jr. Cat

Send a message via MSN to Javern
when my toilet water freezes I turn on the furnace

"You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats find humans useful domestic animals."
- George Mikes
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 10:41 PM
Cat Addict

It's tough to say... the guy that lives below us runs his heat so we don't need to turn it on much.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
It's tough to say... the guy that lives below us runs his heat so we don't need to turn it on much.
What a great situtation. I had an apartment a few years ago that was on the 2nd (middle) floor. We didn't have to run the heat once during the winter! At times, it was even too warm.

Always great to save a little cash...

Tina

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
We just start our heat at normal room temperature I guess....my boyfriend would know but I have no idea. Last night it got COLD, and we didn't have our heat on. I had both my cats curled up beside me all night on a wool blanket I put down for them.

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismodliz
What a great situtation. I had an apartment a few years ago that was on the 2nd (middle) floor. We didn't have to run the heat once during the winter! At times, it was even too warm.
Awesome! Did you save on air conditioning too? I believe we air conditioned his apartment this summer, lol, but the electric bill is always cheaper than the gas bill. Looking at my history the gas peaked at $40 in January. Every other month was around $25.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Cat

Whever its chilly enough in the house I turn it on. I dont wait for a certain date or temp. If its cold I turn it on.

Touch gently the Life Of your fellow man
For the human heart Shapes as easily As clay upon The potter's wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page