Anyone ever have TMJ? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Anyone ever have TMJ?

I have had an unbelievably sore jaw for about three days, and it's getting worse (I can no longer close my jaw at all). I don't remember whacking it or getting punched out in any bar fights, but it is so sore that I can't talk or eat, am having a tough time swallowing, and my ear is starting to ache. I'm doing stretching, a heating pad, tylenol, and muscle relaxants, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I'm going to call my dentist in the AM, but didn't know if anyone here might have some tips and tricks for getting by until then...I'm getting a bit hungry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Manda-chan
I had a sore jaw when i first started grinding my teeth. I had no idea what it was till a year later and my boyfriend told me I was grinding my teeth at night. My dentist gave me Trazadone and a mouth guard. The guard helps the coushion a lot... and helps your muscles relax more.

You can buy one at wal-mart for 20 dollars, and i've had mine for about 8 months now. If it's not actual TMJ (some people grind their teeth due to stress, which is me), then there are several stress relievers you can do. I find i do it less when i'm excersizing daily (yoga or running) Or simply relaxing and doing something i love.

Not sure if that helps any. I've talked to a woman with TMJ before, and she said it never really gets better, you just lessen the stress on your muscles.

Amanda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by ForJazz
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I don't think it's TMJ, per se, but there is definitely something wrong. I know for sure that I don't grind my teeth, too. I suppose that I could have slept in a funny position or something and pushed the joint disc out of alignment (it's only on my right side), or had a day of unusual jaw tension, but I don't remember either.

Would a boxer's mouth guard work, do you think? I may have an old one kicking around here (Wal-Mart's not an option). My problem seems to be closing my mouth (though some would argue that I've always had a problem keeping my mouth shut ), I feel fine as long as my jaw is dropped slightly. Feels like my teeth are totally misaligned when I try to close my mouth (and also feels like someone's driving a spike through my jaw and into my eardrum). It's also a little swollen on that side too, so I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing, and that I can hasten it getting better with some home remedies. It is soooo annoying to not be able to talk at will!

(my husband just went out to try to find soft foods after he realized that I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday morning, so hopefully I'll get a nice big bowl of his homemade mashed potatos for dinner...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Manda-chan
Wow, that sounds awful! The jock thing would probably work. I know there is a thing were people clinch their jaw constantly (I see it all the time at work through Nuclear Medicine). They do it mostly when they get stressed. Are you for sure you don't grind your teeth? Because if your husband is used to the sound, he may not hear it. I don't even wake up, however my mom has said it's amazing how loud it is.

I'm not sure, definatly see a dentist though, however, i'm not sure how much they could do o.O

Amanda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig by ForJazz
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 AM
Senior Cat

You might want to get fitted with a mouthpiece so you don't grind your teeth. My husband has tmj and it used to be when he ate you would hear his jaw click. It was awful and painful for him. It's gotten better. You should probably see an oral surgeon about it or first a dentist to see if it's something to be concerned about.

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Cat Addict

I had the same thing happen my senior year of high school. Out of the blue, my jaw started hurting like crazy - couldn't eat, could barely talk. It hurt to eat broccoli and cheese soup.

My mom took me to the dentist who ran X-Rays and said I have TMJ. He advised me to use a night guard, but at 17 years old, I didn't consider it an option. There's not much to be done for a case as mild as mine. He just told me to refrain from chewing gum, eating hard candy, etc. I've stuck to those rules and haven't had a horrible episode since. My jaw does get tired and achy, but it isn't anything I can't deal with.

I had a friend in HS who had it. Hers was so severe that she had to wear braces and eventually had surgery to "rotate her jaw and put pins in it" - whatever that means. My aunt also has it, and her jaw pops all the time. So I consider myself lucky.

Let us know what you find out. In the meantime, just take it easy.

Tina

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I called my regular dentist, and she said rest, massage, moist heat, and no talking or chewing, if it's not better in a week, come in and she'll look at it (self-employment has lousy insurance benefits, so I'd rather do what I can at home before I pay $$ for a doctor). She said that what happens sometimes is that one of the discs that sits in the jaw socket gets shifted or pushed out of alignment, and that it will very often reseat itself, but it takes a while for the pain to go away. She said the mouth guard might help, especially when I'm doing heavy lifting, so I'll try that.

I''m for sure positive that I don't grind my teeth, though...I am in either a dentist's or periodontist's office 4-6 times a year, and there is no evidence that there's ever been any undue pressure or abrasion on my teeth. I'm pretty sure that I slept on it funny, then exacerated it by driving several hours and helping some friends move. We'll see if I can make it go away on its own, but if it continues another week or so, I'll be going into the dentist for a look-see.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

Good luck!!

I can sympathize.....every once in a while I get a flare up of jaw pain from when I broke my jaw last year......and it still hasn't been fixed.

Hang in there.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Senior Cat

I have ground my teeth before - and haven't even realized it! My dentist was the first to tell me.

I mostly do it at night after something stressful - tests - writing a 12 page paper - quiz... WORK I think my current job is the only place and time I've actually found myself grinding my teeth during the day.

I'm not sure how much stress you are under - but I didn't think I was stressed at all during school at that certain time - and I guess I was!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page