Home remedies for removing rust??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Home remedies for removing rust???

My husband and I were cleaning out a storage area in our basement yesterday and we found a 3-quart roasting pan. The only problem is, it has been sitting in storage for Lord only knows how long and there is rust on the bottom of it on the inside.

So far I've tried pooring a can of Coca-Cola in it and letting it set overnight, pooring some vinegar in it and leaving it set for some hours today and these have helped only minimally.

I just got done dumping some lemon juice in it and will leave this sit overnight to see what happens.

In the event that this still doesn't clean it up, does anyone know of a good home remedy for removing rust out of a roaster? I suppose I could just throw the roaster away but I'm trying everything I can to salvage it before doing that. The roaster wasn't mine in the first place. It belonged to my mother-in-law but she no longer cooks and doesn't use it. I guess I'm a bit frugal. I hate to throw things away that have potential, and I LOVE to cook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 AM
Cat Addict

Being that roasters are usually porcelan or enamel coated, the coating has probably been compromised to the point of exposing the metal and the roaster will never be right, will prolly give foods a metallic taste should you decide to use it. I say scrap it.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I was afraid of that. In fact, after trying the Coke, vinegar, lemon juice, and Coke one more time this morning things still didn't change that much. So I called one of my aunts and she basically said the same thing. It sounds like the coating has been eaten through and the damage is beyond repair. Oh well! I gave it my best I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page