I Soo wasn't prepared.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I Soo wasn't prepared....

I knew working at a vets office i'd face a lot of things, people putting their pet to sleep for no good reasons, people refusing to pay and just leaving their pet there etc. But I was shocked at two seperate incidences yesterday.

The first was a mother and her son (about 3yrs old) who brought in a mini dauschound(sp?) Cutest little doggie, just a puppy still. The mother paid no attention to her son as he gleefully grabbed the dogs head, stuck its entire snout in his mouth, and proceeded to bite down...hard. Then he even more joyfully spread his arms out wide and smacked the dog on either side as fast as he could with both hands. I was slightly relieved when the mother saw my expression and turned around and realised what was going on, she threw a fit and made the boy sit in the corner the rest of the time. The only cute thing about it all was the boys name was Robin, and he named the dog....Batman.

Then we had a border that had been there all weekend, a gorgeous black lab that everyone said had been a real joy to have around. The owner came to pick her up.....and promptly put one of those choker collars on her, the kind with the two inch prongs every half inch.

So I suppose i'm going to have to open my eyes to the fact that theres more stupidity out there regarding animals than I thought. Most of the people that came in were obviously good animal parents (we even had a young girl come in with her 3 ferrets for their distemper shots and while in the waiting room had them all do tricks for us, very cute!!)

I had to swallow a smirk once as someone bought in their dog named Pita, now where I come from Pita stands for Pain in the *** and I couldn't help but wonder if thats what the owner meant, but then it was a very well behaved dog and very pretty so I guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 03:14 PM

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at how many ignorant people are in the world. Most of them are in my family. I have aunts and uncles who never take their animals to the vet, don't get them fixed, and generally don't care about them.

I have another family member that has 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 rabbit. The only animal that lives in the house is the rabbit, and it goes to the vet. The others don't.

They think I'm crazy because I treat my pets like they are human children. I'd do anything for my babies, even if it means going without something I need/want.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
I had to swallow a smirk once as someone bought in their dog named Pita, now where I come from Pita stands for Pain in the *** and I couldn't help but wonder if thats what the owner meant, but then it was a very well behaved dog and very pretty so I guess not.
I knew someone with a cat named Pita and that's exactly why they named her that!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
On the issue of the prong collar, Payge, I used one for my dog and can assure you that the only way that type of collar would hurt the dog is if it was used improperly. Just like a choke collar, there are right and wrong ways to use it. And most people who use one are generally educated about the proper way to do it. They are not a torture device and those prongs are not sharp and do not jab into the dog; even with a Dalmatian (the dog I had) who has short fur, there is no discomfort associated with a prong-type collar.

Pepper was a spotted, slightly smaller Marmaduke. All the training, coaxing, and trying every harness and halter available, when push came to...pull, he was simply stronger than I was. I never once yanked or pulled on that prong collar and neither did he. And our walks got a lot more peaceful after that.

Just so you know...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 02:22 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
OOOOHHH! Wouldn't you like to tell that mother a thing or two And the boy too. Unfortunately, it takes all types to make the world go round

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 03:19 AM
Cool Cat

to me, little kids and animals dont' mix. You too often hear stories on the news about dogs biting little kids.. why do you think that happens?? because of irresponsible parents, combining little innocent kids and large-breed dogs ARG
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Senior Cat

When I take my babies to the vet is amazes me the people who are there. LAst time a woman came in wanting help for her cat who had been attacked (didn't have cat with her) and was annoyed when she would have to come back to vets with cat. Apparently poor kitty had a big open gash she had recieved over a week ago and now it was oozing brown stuff but woman was still letting her out. Went on like this for some time until she was asked to fill out her details. Assistant asked what her cats name was and she said cat. IT didn;t have a name. I felt like telling her to give me the **** cat and I'd look after him'her

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
to me, little kids and animals dont' mix. You too often hear stories on the news about dogs biting little kids.. why do you think that happens??
My brother and sister were mean to a little dog I had when I was 12. They used to pick him up while he was peeing, throw sticks at him, etc. My puppy lost his eye one night after being attacked by another dog. My dad spent our state fair money to have it fixed. They never forgave the puppy for that. One day, my little dog bit my brother, 6, on the hand. He barely broke the skin, more of a warning bite, but my grandma called animal control and had him put to sleep.

Some kids just shouldn't be around pets. It wasn't for lack of my trying to make them stop torturing him; my parents just didn't think it was as bad as I made it out to be. I lost a pet and my pet lost his life b/c of it.

Tina

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Cat Addict

Payge.....just wanted to give you a little info on the prong collar thing too. My family has had mutiple german shepards. We have used the prong collar on all of them. When it was recommended for the first one we thought it was crazy. It is actually very humane. It works much better than a regular choker. It does not tighten like a chocker. Used properly it gives a quick correction and then releases. Unlike the choker were some people let their dogs drag them around and the chock tighens. The prongs aren't sharp either. We tested it out to see how it felt by putting it around our thigh and giving a correction. It didn't hurt. Plus it doesn't pinch the skin like a plain choker can do.

Everyone has told me I should go into some profession working wiht animals. I always say I couldn't do it for the reasons you said. I don't want to watch stupid people let their kids be mean to animals or have to watch sick animals, etc. I think I get to upset. I would probably end up with a house full of animals!

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarePuss
to me, little kids and animals dont' mix. You too often hear stories on the news about dogs biting little kids.. why do you think that happens?? because of irresponsible parents, combining little innocent kids and large-breed dogs ARG
I have a COMPLETELY different take on this. But, then again, my parents were responsible and my dad took the time to train the dog and I was a fairly mild-mannered kid.

When I was 6 years old our neighbors (one of my dad's best friends) gave me a dog for Valentine's Day. I'll never forget that day. It was the best day of my life. I remember walking into the house and hearing the wimper of a little puppy. I walked around the corner into the living room and there he was, with a big Valentine's candy box heart over his head.

BJ was about half wolf, quarter German Shepherd and quarter Husky. He ended up growing to be HUGE! About 110 pounds and over 5 feet long when he stood on his hind legs. He was the most loveable dog I could have ever imagined. Tears come to my eyes now as I'm writing about him. He was like the little brother I never had, until my real brother was born, and he was so protective of me. Being a handicap child, BJ was smart enough to just pick up on the fact that I couldn't get around like other kids did. I'll never forget one winter that was particularly icy. BJ used to meet me every day after school by the mailbox at the end of the driveway. I grew up on a farm and there was about 150 feet to get from the end of the driveway to the front door of the house. Anyway, every day after school BJ was waiting at the mailbox to walk me back to the house. I hit a patch of ice one day and fell down. BJ got down right beside on and crouched down as if to say "Here, boost yourself up on me." But I just couldn't do it. My snow boots just wouldn't grip the ice. At that point BJ ran up to the front door of the house and barked like crazy to get my mom's attention, so my mom could come out and help me back to the house.

I had BJ for 12 years. He died about 12 years ago and I still think he was the best animal/friend any kid could have had. He loved all of my human friends too. Every time I'd bring a friend home from school with me he would lick both of us to death as we stepped off the bus. There will never be another BJ.

But back to the issue of kids and dogs - I think a dog is one of the best things for a kid to have. All it takes is a little time and attention on the part of the parents to teach the kids wrong from right in how to treat an animal. All of my kids are going to be raised with pets. We have 3 cats now and somewhere down the line we plan on getting a dog too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page