A heart defect? Me?! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

A heart defect? Me?!

Over the past few weeks, since the last time I was at my dr.'s office, my doc's been worried abuot my heart rate. Sometimes my heart races, other times I FEEL like it's racing, but my BPMs are within normal range. Yestderday, I felt short of breath and like my heart was racing, (as I do this morning), so I went and had my heart rate checked (for the 5th time in the past month). My BPMs were normal, but I still had symptoms.

The nurse then asked me if I'd ever been diagnosed with a heart defect. "No," I said. She asked how often I got specific symptoms. Well, I'm fatigued quite often. I take naps in the afternoon almost every day...and I'm only 22!! So, she said that it's possible that I have a heart murmur. I was told that most murmurs are harmless, but I'm worried because heart problems run in my mother's side of the family. With everything I've got on my mind at the moment (grad school, moving next summer, finding a teaching job...), this is almost too much. I hope nothing's wrong with me, but at the same time, it would be nice to know that I'm not fatigued all the time because I'm just lazy. You know?

Well, I go in for an echocardiogram on Friday. Until then, I guess I'll just have to let school and work keep me busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
*hugs*

I'll be praying for you.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Cat Addict

I'll be praying for you. Let us know how everything goes.

Even if it does turn out that you have a murmur or some other heart defect, many are treatable and many are conditions that allow you to live a normal, healthy life.

My sister was born with a murmur and has had no problems. My mom had mitro-valve; she had to take daily medication and was limited to what over-the-counter meds she could take, but she did just fine with it.

I'm sure it is scary to be going through this, though. We are all here for you!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
Hang in there, positive thinking!

*hug*
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Cat Addict

*HUGS* I am thinking positive thoughts......*more hugs*
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 02:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm saying a prayer for you, lolakitty. It could be an innocent murmur or even anxiety. Whatever it is, it's best to know. Then you can deal with it. Wouldn't it be great if our bodies would just do their thing, and not let us know about it?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Manda-chan
Lolakitty, i see tons of people every day who are having their hearts stressed (Nuclear medicine..). Just remember, always listen to your body. At 22, lots of doctors will brush you off because you are young( I had a 28 year old today who went to the emergency room 5 times over the span of 2 months for Shortness of breath and pain in the chest..it wasn't until a young female intern ordered a CT that they found a Pulmonary Emoblism, which they can treat with medication). If you are educated and know the signs to look for, you should be just fine. Also, medications can fix all kinds of things and help people lead normal healthy lives! Don't sweat it. Think of it this way, if it is a heart murmur, you know what it is, you can deal with it and move on.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, hopefully it's nothing major=)

Amanda

Sig by ForJazz
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
My prayers are also with you.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. It means a lot to me. Friday is taking SO LONG to get here! I will let you all know the results of the EKG as soon as I get them back.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Sam
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
You're in my thoughts.

Sam-
Mummy of Persians & Exotics.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page