A guy at my job tried talking me out of going back to school - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

A guy at my job tried talking me out of going back to school

I didn't go to school full time this year - and it took a swift kick in the pants for me to realize that I NEED to go back... even if it is to get a Liberal Arts degree. If I can juuuuust get that degree I can sub anywhere... Jeanie made me really think about going back and getting it... since I realize that the requirements are different from state to state... and other places with more teachers might have higher standards than where I live right now

Anyways... some dork customer that likes talking to me is really discuraging me from getting this degree - even though I've said all I really want to do with it is get a better job and make more money for my real goal. He said that it was pointless etc... etc... I want to smack him. He said that a subbing job isn't any fun (even though he has never been one in his life... dork!) and that I might as well work ad McDonald's... O_o

He says this... everyday... He also keeps trying to talk me into going into the Marines... which I have repeativly said "It's not for me", "I don't have what it takes", "It 'isn't in me'", and flat out "NO!" I think the last time he came in during my shift was forever ago when I decided I wasn't going to talk to him at all... discuraging me from getting my education was the last straw... not to mention the fact that he has been nothing but a male pig this entire time... talking to me about how "women are" and I guess I'm NOT one! I might not be the prettiest of all of the chicks in the coffee house... but jeeze...

I've checked how much I would make as a sub compared to the job I have now... it's a big difference! I wonder what his problem is...

Everyone... stay in school... and stay away from potintial recruiters unless you want to join the military...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Is he a Marine? Probably, and I have respect for them, but not the ones that want to convert everyone. Your degree is not pointless if you know you want to teach with it. Besides which, having a degree actually makes you more valuable in many jobs, no matter what the major was. People like this guy make me angry Education is always good, and if it's right for you, it's right for you. I'm glad you are not letting some dumb stranger influence you! Good for you, and good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 04:27 AM
Senior Cat

I can't believe someone would discourage you from finishing your degree. What a wacko. Just stay on track. Sooner you get it done with the better. Nothing wrong with Liberal Arts

~R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
He's probably just jealous because he doesn't have a degree and probably has a really crappy job. The thought of a WOMAN being more successful is a threat to some guys.

Just ignore him... or next time he tries to bug you, calmly explain that YOU are smart enough to make your own decisions about YOUR life and this is what you're going to do with it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Kitten

I feel for ya. Them recruiters can be some jerks sometimes. Well, not all of them. Some of them would try to go after anyone and usually wouldn't take no for an answer and just keep nagging you only to fill their quota, looking at new people as only numbers. They ain't all like that though. Recruiting is a tough job to keep, but it pays much more than regular pay.

In the end though, a lot of us new Marines always thought about getting some payback with their recruiters for the mess they put 'em into. Hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page