UGGHHHHH! SOOOOO antsy! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
UGGHHHHH! SOOOOO antsy!

Ugh, this is so frustrating! I'm sitting here at work, and they are laying off people today. So far about 4 people I know are gone, and a whole bunch more (I guess including myself) are at risk. Every time someone walks by my stomach jumps into my throat. I'm not as much concerned about myself (I'd definitely be ok) but I'm so worried about all of the people I have gotten to know since I started here.

Ughhhhhhh! I can't take this. I hope it is all over soon, and they don't drag this out any longer. I think if I get through the first half of today, I'll probably just leave early. I don't want to sit here and watch people pack up their stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to ForJazz
I know what you're going through -- my company went through a really tough period with a LOT of downsizing. It's sad and it's scary. Best thing to do is put your best effort forward. Give them no reason to choose you to let go. Work hard and keep your chin up. (For that very reason, maybe it's best to try to stick it out the whole day at work) I know it's sad to see people go, and to fear for your job, but if you try your best, then you'll at least know it wasn't your fault. Just try and give yourself no reason to feel regret later, or think "what if I had done *this*" instead.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

So staff isn't given any notice? That would be incredibly hard to go through. I'm sure your friends will be able to find other employment soon. Hopefully they will find work where they don't fear losing their job so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks... so far i am okay, and I went to lunch with a friend so we could get out. I think that definitely helped, get some fresh air and settle my stomach a little. I mean, the decisions were made by top-rung managers and were made a long time ago, we just aren't finding out until today. From waht I understand, managers have been approaching the employees and discussing it in private. There have been no formal announcements or lists of people.

My manager called a meeting with our team today in about an hour, so hopefully he'll give us some information. I presume it isn't to lay off us all because he wouldn't have invited the entire team.

*sigh* It's just really sad. I know every business has to deal with things like this, and I don't think the company is evil or anything, but it is still people, and that is always hard.

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate knowing I have some ears to vent to.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Cat

Oh I know how you feel. My law firm is not financially sound right now. Last week my paycheck was 6 days late. After 3 days they gave us each $200 to tide us over until they got some money in. Luckinly they got some in that week. But it is still not a certain thing, they got a little money in, but I have been sick at my stomach ever since. One of the attorneys left and it was the main one I was working for. He took all the really good cases with him (the money cases). He didn't have a choice, they couldn't afford to pay him. So I am just taking it one day at a time now. So now every time it is payday I am going to wonder all day long if we are getting paid. I guess we will see how it goes. I wish you the best of luck too.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ugh, doesn't the business world stink?

I didn't get laid off, but obviously a lot of people did.

It kinda disgusted me the behavior of some of hte people who didn't really know anyone that got laid off. Some people, who until yesterday were all stressed out and worried, were all of the sudden relaxed and happy and saying "it was not so bad". Now, I understand people being relieved that they still have a job, but there are still people who didn't, and I couldn't believe how outwardly happy they were. I was so depressed the whole entire day!

Ugh.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Cat

Yeah I had one lady i work with say "if they get rid of anyone I hope it is not me." I thought that was so rude because there are only a few people in there and does she really think anyone "hopes it is them"? She is even moving next year so why does she care so much? She is moving back out west. I mean come on, she should have had a little bit of empathy for everyone or something. You are so right, the business world sucks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page