Plant help - repotting time? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Plant help - repotting time?

This is my fig tree that I received at my mom's funeral. It's really important to me, so if anyone can offer advice I would appreciate it!

The top branches are starting to droop. Does it need repotted?

The base looks like this (it always has, but maybe it's a problem).

Any suggestions?

Also, I am loosing numerous green leaves which I have read is a sign of over-watering. But the site also said that was common for a new plant. I've had it for 2 1/2 months.

How often should I water it? I didn't receive any instructions.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Banned

I'm not sure if your fig needs to be repotted, because mine is even more root-bound than yours is . I'm also not sure about the dropping leaves, because one of mine has been doing that too, and I've only had it about 3 months. My other fig that I've had for 3 years isn't losing leaves. Sorry I can't be of much help.

I did just want to comment, however, that it is completely normal for the branches to begin drooping, because they are called 'Weeping Figs'. The tree will look quite beautiful when full-size, with the branches drooping about half-way to the ground. Just make sure that it isn't in full sunlight, because my mom's huge Ficus got sunburn from too much light .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I keep it in front of the east window in my bedroom but with the shade drawn. It seems to be happy with that.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

bump.

Anyone?

Tina

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This should help. However, there are many varieties of fig tree. I think you have the weeping type, so I wouldn't worry about the top drooping down--unless you are losing top leaves. It's not unusual for a large plant to lose bottom leaves. Besides the information you find here, a sure fire sign that the plant is root bound is when the water runs right through and onto the plate, or whatever you have under the plant. That means that if you took it out of the pot, you would see only a bit of soil clinging to roots that go around and around. It you have to repot, use the next larger pot, not one that is much bigger.

Here's the pro's advice:
CHARACTERISTICS:

Keep the soil watered, but let the top two inches of soil dry out. Letting the soil become extremely dry will result in dry, and yellow, leaf drop. New green, leaves dropping off can be a sign of over watering. When this occurs the plant is in trouble, make sure it is using the water you give it.

PRUNING:

These plants, when new, have a tendency to drop a noticeable amount of leaves. Don't panic, this is due to the trees being grown in ideal conditions, they are adjusting to your environment. The leaf loss may occur over several months. Pick up fallen leaves and remove yellow ones still on the plant. Cut off dead and dry twigs. This helps light to penetrate to the inside foliage, to promote growth on the inside.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Does it have adequate light?
Has it been moved in the past two or three weeks, therefore adjusting to a new light situation?
Did I let it dry out severely two weeks ago?
Did the air conditioner come on?
Did the heater come on?
Are the seasons changing?
Am I paying attention to the plant's use of water or am I just splashing water on it?

All the above questions have an effect on your ficus. They, like ourselves, do well where a consistent environment is possible. Common sense is a key factor to growing ficus, or any other plant.

There are several different varieties of ficus. The plants with similar looking leaves are ficus nitida, nuda, and a longer leafed variety is called alii.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Cat

I love houseplants, I have about 30 of them and some are from my dads funeral 4 years ago....yes....that plant needs to be transplanted into a bigger pot. The roots need more room to grow. Buy a good brand of potting soil and a larger pot...gently lift it out....squeeze the pot first all the way around top to bottom and tap it a few times on a table...then gently lift it out after first filling the new pot half way full of potting soil...then fill in the rest with more potting soil and water it. I'm no expert, but I do manage to keep all my plants alive, so I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page