Trying to find out how to live on my own! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Trying to find out how to live on my own!

Ok, I'm not moving out any time soon (I know I can't afford it) but I've been trying to find a reasonable breakdown of every day living expenses.

I know it all varies by location, but I can't seem to find anything like what I'm looking for!

Basically, something that lists out approximate monthly costs for things like:

rent
utility bills (water, power, gas (heat,etc), cable, phone
groceries
random expenses

Also, until just recently I didn't know how much it costs just to move in somewhere, all the deposits needed to hook up your power and such.

If ANYONE can offer me any advice how to find this out I'd greatly appreciate it! I've tried searches for living expenses, and its all colleges and what incoming students can expect to pay... I've tried cost of living and its all just comparing one place to another, but no real numbers... just how they compare to a national average.

I already know I'll need two jobs, but I'm trying to save up money now. The problem is, even if I save up a lot I'll need to make enough to cover all the expenses so I'm not just eating away my savings! Anyone?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

new idea:

I think that if I know WHAT I have to pay for I can figure out how much it cost around me.

Anyone who lives in an apartment or owns their own house... can you give me a rough idea of the kinds of bills you pay every month? I don't need to know specific numbers (I'll admit its personal business).

Jessie

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Cat Addict

Well, I'll give you a breakdown of what my boyfriend and I pay.

We live in Northern California.

RENT:
-We live in a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath, in a pretty crappy apartment complex. We pay $900.00/month.

-For our deposit, we paid $1200.00, which was a $900.00 deposit, plus $300.00 for our pet deposit; so the day we moved in, we paid $2100.00!

WATER:

- Our water is included with our rent

POWER:

-First off, we get a fairly sizeable discount on our power bill because of my Lupus

- We are paying about $100.00/ month

GAS:

- Our gas is about $26.00/month

CABLE:

- We have a DISH, which came with free installation and equipment, our bill is about $50.00/month

PHONE:

- We also have a discounted phone

- We pay about $10.00/month for phone. (We have no long distance)

INTERNET:

- We paid $100.00 for the whole year for dial-up service. When we had high-speed, it cost about $50.00/month

CELL PHONES:

- We each have a phone, each plan is $49.99.....unless we go over......then it is a KILLER!!!!!!

GROCERIES:

- This varies, but I think we probably spend around $100.00-$150.00/month

RANDOM EXPENSES:

- This is a hard one- there is A LOT of stuff that you don't even think about, like doctor's visits, medication, pet supplies, school supplies, shampoo/makeup, etc., gas for your car, clothes, cleaning supplies, furniture, towels/dishcloths, eyc.......it just goes on and on and on......

Was that helpful? Did I miss anything? [/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
For me my main monthly bills are (with the amounts approx. for long island):

1) Rent (one bedroom is $1300 a month)
2) Electric (usually around $40 a month)
3) Phone (land line - around $9 a month, only for incoming calls)
4) Phone (Cell phone - verizon plan for $39.99 a month)
5) Cable/Internet (non-premium family cable $45, internet broadband for around $40)
6) Credit Card (mostly gas and groceries, plus whatever else I decide I want/need)

Some yearly expenses are things like:
1) Renter's insurance
2) car insurance
3) Pet insurance for Kiera

I hope that helps! Hopefully you're not living in such an overpriced area as where I am

*edit* I have to note that at my apartment complex, water, gas, and heat are included. But don't think it's such a great deal, the rent is a rip-off
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I think rent is what will kill me. Honestly, I'd rather not live in an apartment. I've read the pros and cons of apartment vs owning, but I'd rather own. I know, I'm only 20 and it seems unrealistic.

I'm not above living in a "trailer" though. There are a lot of mobile homes around me. And I think "modular home" is the term for one that they build and place on a foundation.

They're pretty much regular homes, but they cost about half as much. I know someone who lives in a trailer with a roommate. One of their parent's bought it, and they're paying off the loan. With the lot rent, I think they end up paying around $400 for the loan and lot rent together. To me, that's a TON cheaper than an apartment rent around here.

The things to worry about are if anything breaks, you don't have a landlord to fix it. You're on your own with things like that. I really think I'd rather try to save enough for a downpayment on a "house" that will cost about $40,000 or so. That's roughly the price of a newer (or in some cases NEW) trailer. It comes out to cost less than the rent of most apartments, and when I decide to move, I sell the house and at least get something back, where in an apartment I'd be paying at least $500 a month to get nothing back when I move.

I'd love to move out within a year like I originally planned, but I don't think I can. I'm starting my vet tech program next year, so I'll be in school for another 2 1/2 years. I've already planned out when my classes will be most likely and how much I can work at my job. Only around 30-35 hours a week (assuming they WANT me to work that much) so that alone isn't nearly enough for what I'll need. I was thinking of going up to our Animal Emergency Clinic to see about working there some nights during the week, and maybe every other weekend when I'm not working at my job now. I just don't know if I can handle working from like 1:00-6:30, then going into another job until around midnight AND working every weekend. I don't think I'd get a day off

The other option is living with a roommate. Logically, another person cuts expenses in half, right? I just tend to HATE people I spend a lot of time with. It happened at college, and its happening with my friend Joy now. Plus, I have issues with my personal space, people using my things... heck I'd even get mad if I thought my cat liked the roomie better!! I don't know what to do with myself.

Jessie

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:30 PM
Cat Addict

I don't really see a problem with buying a house and not renting at all. You will need to budget for repairs, though.

If you do decide to rent, check out apartmentratings.com.

My monthly expenses go something like this:

Rent: $650 (two bedroom, two bathroom, fairly nice location)
Phone: $60
Groceries: $320 (I usually spend about $80 per week for two people, but I could probably cut this down if I tried)
Gas (for my car): $40
Water: $13
Electricity: $60

I also have credit card expenses, but there's no need for me to share that. Also, I have a car, but I paid it off two years ago. My husband pays the car insurance and the cable bill. I think that cable is about $40 per month.

When I first got an apartment on my own my expenses were:
Rent: $400 per month all utilities included (one bedroom, bathtub in the kitchen, toilet in the closet)
Phone: $36 per month (bare minimum service w/no long distance)
Groceries: $40 per month (I ate mostly rice and canned soup)
Insurance: $80 per month
My car was paid off, but I never drove it. Justin gave me a ride to work every day (I later married him. )

I didn't have cable. I bought my groceries at Save-A-Lot (a discount grocery store where you bag your own groceries). And I never went out to eat or ordered in. I always cooked my own food. I also had to pay my rent in two installments every month because I couldn't afford to pay it all at once. I was only making $6.00 per hour at the time.

I still don't have a cell phone or internet service.

Oh! And don't forget to budget for yearly expenses like taxes. For the longest time, I always owed money on April 15. Now I have an extra $5 taken out of every paycheck for taxes. And the taxes on licensing my car just went up as well. Just yesterday I paid $99 to get stickers on my husband's and my cars, plus the $39 e-check fee to have my car emissions checked (it's mandatory in my county).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

I understand wanting to own rather than rent. Trust me, I HATE renting. I feel like I'm just throwing my money away. However, even if a house payment is technically lower than a rent payment, there are so many costs that aren't considered when it comes to owning your own home. I think you were touching on this when you mentioned if something breaks, you have to fix it. That's a big deal, even on new homes.

Here are a few examples of things that have gone wrong with this apartment. (Mind you, this building is only about four years old and considered one of the nicer complexes in town.) Some of these problems are my fault, some aren't.

I had a bit too much to drink the night before and didn't realize that a shotglass went down the sink. So the next afternoon I'm doing dishes and go to turn on the garbage disposal... whoops. That needed to be replaced. The dishwasher just quit working, they replaced it -- can't really say if it was my fault or not. We had leaky pipes under the sink, and one time one of the toilets wouldn't stop running. This stuff is normal of anywhere you live.. luckily I didn't have to pay for any of this stuff because it's just "included" with rent. It's nice not to have to worry about these problems when you can't really afford to budget for them.

My bills go like this:

Rent: $650 for a very nice two bedroom, 1 and 3/4 bath, with living room, dining room, and deck/balcony. Amenities include free water, trash removal, and a dishwasher. Laundry facilities are in the building but you have to pay to use them.

Electric averages $35.08. It peaks in the summer at around $55 (because of A/C) but stays around $25-30 during the other months,

Gas averages: $16.52, which is excellent compared to most people. We have the luxury of living on the second floor and recieving a lot of the heat from the guy that lives below us. In the summer months gas is only $8-12 a month because it's only used to heat water.

Cable and Internet together are $118/month. That includes cable modem and digital cable with HBO. (This is definitely a bill that doesn't need to be this high, lol...)

Land Line is $14.93 a month, which is something like 400 minutes of talk time without long distance.

Between two people we average between $250 and $300 a month on groceries. This is also something that can be cheaper but Jess is so stubborn about buying everything as "name brand". Ugh.

Other random expenses include unexpected vet bills, the occasional car repair, holidays, vacations, etc. (Believe me, at least one of these always comes up every month...)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:07 PM
kim
Jr. Cat

well, here i can make you all feel better

this is for worcester area, MA.

2 bedroom duplex, 1.5 bath, with basement and parking. rent is $1150/mo(originally was 1400, could easily have gotten that but we talked her down

phone was about 35/mo but i just cancelled the landline.

internet and cable are combined - 88.41/mo

gas - 60/mo (we pay a flat fee, and then we are reimbursed for the difference at the end of the year)

electric - 50-130 a month depending on usage.

groceries - average 50-75 a week for me and the animals.

trash service (nope, my town doesnt have it) - 27-28 bucks/mo

everything but the groceries are split between myself and my roommate.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Senior Cat

Having lived in Charlotte, NC I have a pretty good idea at what you are looking at expenses wise. A dirt cheap apartment in the worst area of town will run you about $300 a month, a relatively good one bedroom in an ok neighborhood will run about $500 a month. Some apartment complexes have ammenities included with the rent such as gas/power/phone/cable tv/water/sewer so you should keep an eye out for those. Unless you like going to the laundrymat or moms to do laundry make sure the apartment has washer/dryer hookups. You can get a decent washer/dryer set from the classifieds in the newspaper usually for about $100.

Having both rented and owned a home I can definately say its sooo much nicer to own your own home, but we were fortunate in that our home was built for us, so it was brand new and didn't have any major issues that needed fixing. A friend of mine bought a house and two months later the sewer system went kaput Her and her husband ended up shelling out $30k to have a new system put in.

Oh yeah so back to the topic, a basic rundown of a decent apartments monthly costs:

1 bdrm apt $500

electric $50(kick it up to $80 if you do a lot of cooking and wash your own clothing)

Phone $30 land line with caller id and some other junk I dont think I ever used

Cell phones: $95 a month for two phones with unlimited nights/weekends, free sprint to sprint calls, 2000 local and long distance minutes. Or you could get the $29 a month cricket dealio for unlimited local calls.

Gas $20 a month up to $40 depending on whether or not you actually have gas and what its used for

Car insurance: all depends on your car and what coverage you have

Car payment: depends on if your car is payed off or not and how much it costs if not

Groceries: Oh boy, Patrick and I can spend up to $900 a month on food, its our one big splurge, we go out to eat a lot. But if I recall correctly I used to be able to scrape by on $80 a week with just me and my ex husband

Gas: gawd only knows, with prices going up like mad...we spend about $40 every week and a half on filling up his gas guzzling truck.

Misc: Never forget yourself! You never want to be in a situation where your monthly expenses = your entire monthly paycheck. Make sure to leave at LEAST 10% room of your paycheck for emergencies(girl scout cookies being available unfortunately does not fall into the emergency category I was unhappily informed by Patrick), and another 10% for personal shopping, going out with friends etc.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Cat

Forgot to mention, if I had it all to do over again i'd definately buy what I needed for the apartment BEFORE moving out. That way you can get the really nice $600 sofa instead of the $20 at a yard sale kind. I left my ex with only a bed, my computer, a computer desk, and my car. Not counting furniture it ended up costing me $1000 at discount stores just to re-stock on everyday things like cookware, silverware, glasses, shampoo deodorant, toilet paper, toilet brush, towels...things you don't even think about cause they are always just THERE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page