New fish! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

New fish!

I managed to get ahold of some Bio-Spira which only *JUST* came back on the market (their supply didn't meet the demand, they had to culture more and it was out of stock for 6+ months) Its this awesome instant tank cycler stuff that the people on the puffer forum swear by so I grabbed it. I'm still being cautious though so I bought two white tipped shark catfish instead of the puffer so I wouldn't be crushed if the Bio-Spira didn't work.

Good theory, too bad it didn't work. I didn't pay much attention to them on the way home, but after the bag they were in had sat for half an hour then slowly mixed with the tank water over another half an hour I let them loose and WOW!! They are beautiful!!! They seem *really* happy too, they are swimming all over the tank, but the part that stole my heart was they would stay together, they even "danced" in circles tail to head for a while. I really hope this Bio-Spira is as good as they say it is.....i'm gonna be so sad if they die. Oh yeah and I named them, Natasha and Nikolai. The most graceful fish i've ever seen. *sighs with happiness*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Sam
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Congrats on the new fish. I hope they thrive!

Sam-
Mummy of Persians & Exotics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 02:08 AM
Cat

I really hope they live! They sound beautiful! Do you have pictures of them? What is this Bio-Spira supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Its a live culture of bacteria, the kind that makes the cycle of ammonia>nitrite>nitrate go smoothly. Normally it takes up to a month for this bacteria to grow and thrive in a tank, but there are things you can do to speed it up. Bio-Spira being the fastest as its "instant" cycling. I also have transferred water, plants, and gravel from my smaller pre-cycled tank and that helps as well since the good bacteria lives on and in everything in the tank.

If you don't cycle a new tank setup you get whats called "new tank syndrome" Where everything is fine for a few days and them suddenly your fish start dying. The reason for this is that first ammonia spikes, and without the good bacteria to break it down to nitrites and then nitrates its toxic to the fish. Nitrites are also toxic, nitrate is less toxic and the biological filter usually takes care of most of it. Live plants take care of the rest.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! *drools*
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 12:50 PM

Congratulations on the new tank and the new fish. When are you going to get your puffers?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Later today.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:16 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
So, where are our pictures? Hmmmmph!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
So, where are our pictures? Hmmmmph!
Yeah, where are the pictures?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Cat

Pictures!

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page