So sad, poor goldfish. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
So sad, poor goldfish.

I work at a retirement home during school, in my program you have to do 215 volunteer hours per semester. So I'm there twice a week for 7 hours a day. It is actually called our "placement" because we are there to learn how to work in the field.

Anyways, they bought 10 goldfish for their "fair day". All they did with them was "race" them, and no one thought to figure out who would be taking these fish home with them after they were done with them. I had a spare tank sitting around so I said that I will take them home, I offered before anyone else because I knew anyone else would just keep them in that dirty bowl. They were planning on flushing them if no one wanted them! When I took them home, they were all crowded in a 1 gallon goldfish bowl (meant for only 1 fish!!!). I feel SO bad because all I have is a 10 gallon. My 33 gallon has tropical fish in it already. I bought a big filter for the 10 gallon, hoping to help with the ammonia since I know it will be high....the tank is obviously overstocked with 10 goldfish. I do water changes once a week, half the tank.

So yesterday I notice one is dead. I feel SO BAD because I know they need a bigger tank but I can't afford to buy one. Once I do a water change, the water is ok...but within a couple of days it's getting cloudy because it gets dirty so fast. I know I saved them from being flushed, but dying from ammonia burn can't be much nicer. I feel SO bad.

I don't care if it's a $1000 german shephard puppy or a 33 cent goldfish. I just can't STAND to see any animal (or fish!) end up dying way before their time.

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Are there people you know that could take one or two? Goldfish make such lovely pets, I'd take one if I could! Good for you for rescuing them. My dad once rescued two baby goldfish from a bachelor party where they were going to be swallowed
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Swallowed? I'm glad he saved them!

Maleke, goldfish are such a dirty fish. They eat so much! I kept mine in a 29 gallon tank with some angels and a red finned shark and some others. But 10 of them? No room to grow, for sure. I see another aquarium in your future, maybe second hand? That's what I did.

It's a shame one died, but they are so much better off with you, regardless.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:08 AM
Sam
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Aww glad you saved the goldies! I used to have brown fish, not sure what they were called though.

Sam-
Mummy of Persians & Exotics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:32 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, Maleke, thank you for trying.

Hugs to all the fishies from me and my entire fishy gang.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 05:43 AM
Cat

Your heart was in the right place when you brought them home Maleke but the problem is that Goldfish need a bare minimum of 10 gallons each to stay healthy, thrive, and grow because common goldfish can grow to be 12-16" in length. My guess is if you put 10 GF into an uncycled 10G tank then they're probably suffocating in their own ammonia. So going by the 10 gallon rule your fish would need a 100 gallons. Heres a site with a forum about GF care if you're interested......
http://www.goldfishparadise.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php
..........Hope that Helps you out. I know 1 thing you can do to house alot of fish if you cant afford a large tank is to keep them in a large Rubbermaid plastic bin filled with water and buy the filtration online because its much less expensive than buying it in pet stores. Also use cycled material from your established tropical tank to help jumpstart the cycle in the plastic bin or whatever container you decide to use.
Hope that helped and i hope you try that GF site.......i also have another link to a another good GF site/forum but it seems to be down right now. If you want i'll post it later.
Good Luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I bought almost all of my equipment second hand from people who were tired of the hobby or had to move. It might be a good hobby for the people at the retirement home. Perhaps you could set it up there.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page