How far would you commute for a job? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
MA
Senior Cat

How far would you commute for a job?

I have been unemployed for about 1 1/2 years cuz I was laid off from a high tech company that was downsizing. It was a blessing in disguise because it gave me the opportunity to get certified as a child day care worker. This type of work is a far cry from being an executive assistant to a VP (who was laid off too) as far as environment and pay goes. The jobs for child day care are not coming in as quickly as I thought. At some interviews that I did get stressed going back to school for more ECE units. It is still my desire to work with children even at a fraction of what corporate companies pay. So I'm still working on that. In the meantime, our finances are getting quite low and starting to dip into our savings . Last week out of the blue a friend who was also laid off from the same company but found a job referred me to her VP that had a temporary, 2 week administrative assistant position open. This company is 50 miles away and a hour's drive without traffic back and forth. With traffic you are looking at some days to 1 1/2 hours. The job is paying $20/hour. I have until today to accept it. The money would help.

What do you think? 50 miles seems so far. I've never worked that far from home before.

BOKAHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Cat Addict

It's only two weeks...so that gives you extra $$ in your pocket and after two weeks, you don't have to stay.

Granted, driving THAT far twice a day would get tiring, but like I said, it's only two weeks.

Personally, *I* would give it a try. Are there any bad parts about it other than the commute?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
if it is only for 2 weeks, and the $ is good.. i would take it.. get some $ and keep looking for that dream job.. What do you have to loose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Cat Addict

I say go for it, especially since it is temporary - as long as you have a reliable vehicle.

If it was a permanent position, I would personally put more thought into it, but since it is temporary I agree with Krista.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Cat

I just hope you have a car that gets good mileage....that would be my biggest concern, but $$ is $$, so I would give it a shot - it is 2 weeks... but remember to calculate in gas expenses!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Courtesy of ForJazz -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
We All Have A Photographic Memory, Some Just Forget The Film....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
MA
Senior Cat

Thank you all so much for your input. And the key phrase is 2 weeks. I was getting really depressed that the child day care jobs weren't panning out. I did get hired at one Montessori even without the experience 3 weeks ago. It was perfect all away around but had some doubts about the owner but brushed it off until...she postponed my start date 3 times. I then told her I don't think this is going to work. I hated to do that but if she's like that now she might PAY me late or something flaky. So I was getting depressed about it all until my friend called me last weekend out of the blue. I had the phone interview yesterday with the hiring manager and was able to 'apply' by FAX just an hour ago today.

Thank you all once again. I really appreciate and respect your opinions.

BOKAHA
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
MA
Senior Cat

Here's another ditty... the actual drive is a straight shot but bottlenecks as you go into the cty but my friend that lives 20 minutes away in another city from me says we can commute together. Now that's squared away I hope I do this job. It's in this bioscience company's legal department. Never worked in a legal department before.

BOKAHA
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Senior Cat

For 2 weeks, I say go for it. If it were for the long haul...I would probably say no. My longest commute time would probably be 20 minutes or less ideal no more than 30 even in traffic. Good luck!

~R

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm glad you have found something with a good wage, even if it's temporary. It gets you back in the swing of things, and makes you feel good about yourself!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:46 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
I know you probably made your decision, but I just wanted to say I'm in the Child Care field as well, and am wondering where you live. You can PM me if you'd rather ... but depending where you are I might know some companies that hire in with little to no experience and usually pay pretty decently ... just for the future. If you're in my state I can even give you some tips on how to work with and around licensing requirements until you have more units/experience.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page