Ugh...need to vent (shelter issues) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Ugh...need to vent (shelter issues)

Ok, we ALL know that I'm a crazy cat lady at the shelter, but today I show up and see a sign out front saying "We have over 60 dogs!" Our normal occupancy is 15-20, depending on the season. I'm puzzled.

Turns out an alleged puppy mill was shut down several hours away, and we were the only shelter who had any room at all, so they were brought down to us. 50+ dogs, all purebreds, mostly unsocialized and untrained, most of them raised entirely outdoors I'd just gone in to take a few cat pictures for petfinder, and ended up staying for the afternoon to answer phone calls after the story hit the news at noon, then ran home and got the story posted on the shelter's website and petfinder

I don't know how we're going to keep up with all of this...the dogs went through over 100 pounds of food today, and there's no way we'll have enough people to walk and train them all.

I'm just very discouraged, because our number of adoptable adult animals had just recently dipped below 50 for the first time in quite a while, so I was pretty pleased...and now this

Someone pat me on the head and tell me to go to sleep so's I can go answer phones again tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Banned

Are these mostly puppies Gudewife? If so, they should go quick . I hope you can get the numbers under control soon. In the meantime, save your energy and get a good night's sleep. Worrying about it certainly won't make it go away. Sit down with a cold beer (or steaming mug of cocoa), put your feet up and read a good book. I hope things are better for you soon!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Sam
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Oh that is a heck of alot of puppies. I hope they all get homes.

Sam-
Mummy of Persians & Exotics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 02:49 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Oh that is so sad. I too hope they find good homes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, I decided to go in and help out today, since it was the first day we were open after the story hit the local news. What a zoo! We had people bringing in money, food (some by the car or truckload), cleaning supplies, blankets, and filling out adoption applications left and right. I spent the entire day answering the phones, and had people telling me they'd been trying to get through for hours and getting busy signals.

I'll probably go back in this weekend, as well...looks like we just might make it after all...but trying to schedule in the spay/neuter surgeries is proving to be a big hassle, especially since all the dogs are unsocialized, skittish, can't walk on a leash, and have no real understanding of things like linoleum and stairs. I, the NON dog-handler, am probably going to end up taking a vanload of males in for neutering next week...THAT ought to be interesting.....

(Oh, and QOTN, they are mostly 5-11 months old, but a few are as old as 7+...but public response has been very strong, both in support and adoption applications, so I am more optimistic than I was last night)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 09:10 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
I, the NON dog-handler, am probably going to end up taking a vanload of males in for neutering next week...THAT ought to be interesting.....
Oh lord....good luck. I'm sure you will be fine......just be ready to be barked at, slobbered on, pulled in 50 different directions at once, growled at, and possibly peed on. (These are some things I delt with when I had to work with unsocialized dogs)

I am so glad everything might work out......I hate stories like this. Ashley came from a similar situation (except it was an apartment with over a hundren breeding cats, all unsocialized and sick). I like to think that she ended up with a pretty good home......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

I'm so glad to hear about the overwhelming response. Sometimes the public really pulls through when there is a need. As for the dogs going for neutering, are they all going to be 'free' (ie: on or off leash)? When we take our animals for surgery, they are all crated... Good luck with this, and I hope things settle down soon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Cat Addict

I too am glad to hear about the public response! Sounds like many of these pups may get homes after all! Good luck with truck load.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Well, I spent most of today getting screamed at by people for various reasons...there's just not enough of us to handle the massive influx of people, we can't hear anything when we're talking on the phone because of people shouting to be heard and dogs barking and kids squealing, and everyone is mad about something. All the cats are nervous wrecks between the overflow of dogs and the huge amount of foot traffic. Some little kid let all the youngest kittens out of their cages, so we had to find and sort out 25+ kittens and get them back into the right cages and make sure they were all there (ok, now this group has about 15 DSH black and white kittens in it, and they all look the same, especially when they're zipping all over the room).

I had to have myself a good cry when I got home this afternoon, I'm just so exhausted and sick of getting yelled at by people when I don't even know what it is that they're mad about because they were dealing with someone else two days ago when it happened. I'm doing paperwork that I'm completely unfamilar with, and I'm petrified that I'll make some hideous mistake. I'm just completely fried mentally, and I don't know how I'll make it through another day of it tomorrow (I am planning to spend Monday in bed eating Malomars and watching TV ).

Yes, QoTN, all of the dogs will be crated when I drive them to the vet's, which has taken a BIG load off my mind, because none of them can walk on a leash and I didn't know how I was ever going to get them in and out of the vet's...but knowing that I'm not a good dog handler, the shelter staff and vet's staff are going to do the crating and uncrating and I will just be the driver <whew!>

I think I'm just overwhelmed, which is my own stupid fault because I'm one of those numb volunteers that keeps saying "hey, what else can I do to help you?" instead of just doing my usual job and leaving it at that. I just need to cry and decompress and get my head to stop spinning so that I'll be useful tomorrow. I don't get it...when I was younger, I could run on adrenaline (and coffee) for weeks at a time. No one ever told me then that I was using up all of my stress-coping reserves, or I would have saved some for my middle years! The husband has promised me chicken soup, a funny movie and a backrub tonight.

On the plus side, one of our long-term kitties got adopted today, after over a year of shelter life! <picture me as Scarlett O'Hara here> "Tomorrow is another day...I'll think about it tomorrow..."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Cat Addict

Oh, bless you for all the work you are doing. I am so sorry to hear it went so rough today. It would be nice if more people were as caring as you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page