New Aquarium! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
New Aquarium!

Well, I came home yesterday to find my 30 gallon leaking! It's a slow leak, but I have already reparied this tank once and now it's leaking from a different area. Time for the garbage! So I went to work yesterday and got my boss to order me a 40 gallon.

30 gallons are made with the thinner glass that they use for 10 and 20 gallons, so they are prone to leaking. 40 gallons are made with thicker glass, so they are much more durable. It was either down to a 20 or up to a 40. The bigger the better always applies with tanks, so up to a 40 I went. He also ordered me a nice fluorescent canopy to go with it. I get a GREAT discount since I work there too.

Fish have been my hobby since I was 12 years old. My dad and I used to breed them and we had tonnes of tanks. Since I moved in with my boyfriend, space is LIMITED (until we get our house....hee hee) so I can't have more than a few tanks. So any new addition is exciting for me! I can't wait to set it up! I get it on Thurdsay.

I'm thinknig of repairing the 30 gallon again and using it for my 9 goldfish that I told you all about. That would be better than the 10 gallon they are crammed in now.

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Cat

Congrats! I want pics as soon as you get it set up!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Jr. Cat

wow that sounds cool i love fish i could sit and stare at them alllll day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 08:47 PM
Kitten

Congrats on your new tank! I'm sure you will have fun getting it all set up. Can't wait to see pics of it when it's done. If it's possible to repair the 30g I'm sure the 9 goldies will love going into a bigger tank. If you can keep the 10g up and running maybe you should keep 2 goldies in it and put the rest in the 30. In any case good luck. I know somebody posted a link to goldfishparadise.com but here's another site that is good too..... http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/forum/
Linda
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Sam
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to Sam Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
Oh goody! congrats on the new tank.

Sam-
Mummy of Persians & Exotics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I can't thank you enough forjazz!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Cat

I have 5 tanks. One 45gal, a 30, 2/20's, and a 10. Love them.

Have Firemouths in the 30. So far they have presented me with babies twice. Funny thing is that when I got them I ask the guy that owns the shop if they were easy breeders. He told me that they needed to be very happy and the water conditions had to just right for them to breed. Well guess I have very happy fishand perfect water conditions. After the last batch of about 50 I seperated the male out and put him in the 45 gal tank.

But I love my tanks. One of the 20's is in my bedroom. Love laying there at night and watching them. Kevin has a 30 and a 20 in him bedroom.
He has a Rainbow fin shark that evidently was injured. His back is crooked and has a big hump on it. He named hi Quasamato( from hunch back).

Cats are Gods way of reminding us we aren't as important as we think we are
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I moved my goldfish into a 20 gallon, so it's slowly getting better for them! They love the extra room. I am going to try to repair the 30 for them, but it's a big job. It's leaking all around the top, and now at the bottom too. Grrrrr. The 20 gallon has no gravel, just a few plants. Gravel takes up room, and wanted them to have the whole 20 gallons!

I am VERY excited about getting my 40 gallon. Does anyone know anything about sand bottoms? Is it harder to keep? Thanks!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Cat

Maleke: Congrats on your soon to have 40G!
I have sand in one of my tanks, and yes, it is more a pain to keep looking nice, because you can't clean it the same way you do other substrates.

I'm going to assume you have a gravel vac... basically with sand, you can't stick the vac into the sand, you just have to wave it around, about an inch above the sand, and suck up any particles that float upwards. There is also the problem with anarobic pockets (sp). But getting things like MT (malaysian trumpet snails), or bottom feeders, will help keep this problem, as well as the debris down.

I hope your using something like 100% silicon for your repairs on the fish tank. Anything else can be toxic. You can buy it from Home Depot, or a fish store, but just make sure all that's in it, is 100% silicon.
In the 30G do you have any rocks, or any other heavy items touching the glass? That could be a potential problem for leaks, as well as not having the tank and the stand perfectly level.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Lynda said:
Quote:
Have Firemouths in the 30. So far they have presented me with babies twice.
I assume you mean Firemouth cichlids, the egg layers? I had a Firemouth Cichlid who bullied all of the other fish in my 55 gallon tank. But when I put him in a breeding tank--set up just the way Firemouths like it for breeding, and put in a female full of eggs, he cowered in a corner! I guess he was afraid of the responsibility of a wife and kids!

Maleke, I'm glad the goldfish are getting a new home. Now, all you have to do is get an extra job to pay for all of the food they'll eat when they get really big! By the way, I had a 29 gallon tank, and was told there is no such thing as a 30 gallon. Is this a new type?

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Jeanie, actually I was told mine is a 33 gallon. So I don't know what it really is!

I use non toxic silicon stuff for my tank, I bought it at Big Al's so it's safe. No rocks touching the glass, it's leaking from the seams at the top and now a bit at the bottom.

I might try the sand substrate, I just LOVE the way it looks. Do trumpet snails breed like crazy? I really dont' want a tank full of snails. If they don't breed like nuts, I'll get some....is there anything other than snails that can help keep the bottom clean? I know cory's eat food on the bottom......but that's all I can think of.

Does anyone have any experience with Paradise Fish? I saw some today and they looked really pretty. I have never kept them because I have heard they are aggressive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page