Legal? Sliding scale for healthcare? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Legal? Sliding scale for healthcare?

Is it legal for a company to charge a sliding scale for healthcare based on the amount of money you make? This is the first time my husband's company is going to do this since it merged with its other company. Just sounds very, very fishy. Who would he complain to if it isn't..?

~R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~a beautiful creation by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Senior Cat

Strange, sliding scales are usually used by 'aide' type places, where people with lower incomes can go and be charged based on whats affordable to them (usually government run or non-profit org.'s) I'm pretty sure its not illegal though. Some of them take into account your expenses as well as how much you make (aka if you make a million a year, but pay 990,000 a year in child support they will charge you as if you only made 10,000 a yr) but most just go by what you make and not add in your expenses.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Believe me they're not taking into account the child support and they're not doing this to save us any money....it has more than tripled our healthcare...

~R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
My company does this. And the amount I started at is JUST over the threshold from the cheapest to the next-cheaptest. Bet they did THAT on purpose!

I'm just annoyed because they are completely changing our coverage and if I want to keep the high level that I have right now, I am going to have to pay twice as much. The monthly fee I don't mind as much as teh copays doubling, or even tripling in some cases for presecriptions. Grrrr.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

It just seems odd that you can "estimate" someone's earnings then offer the employees different healthcare plans at different rates than other people in the company. That just seems bizarre! And, the healthcare plan is exactly the same as last year but now the price has tripled...

~R

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:38 PM
Cat Addict

I hope we get some kind of medical reform soon... because what you're getting is legal, but unfair.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padunk
I hope we get some kind of medical reform soon... because what you're getting is legal, but unfair.
I never even would have imagined this kind of thing would happen in America. It's just completely bizarre and radical. I'm even surprised that more companies aren't doing it...seems like great money for the company.

~R

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page