Shopping for a new digital camera ... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Shopping for a new digital camera ...

My current digital camera is big and bulky - it's okay, but now it has a problem that would cost more to fix than it is worth to me. What do you all use and/or reccomend. I want something with a few options beyond the standard point and click - I like photography but would certainly not call myself "advanced", still I am a little beyond beginner. Also, it needs to have at least 3X optical zoom - don't care a hoot about digital zoom.

Please post your experience, including likes/dislikes, mega pixels, battery drainage, etc. Also, post where you got it and relative price ... Hope I'm not asking too much, but I'd like an honest opinion from real users.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 AM

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5700, the same one as Petra but I don't take as good of shots as she does. It does horribe indoor shots (low lighting is not its strong suit)...zooms in and out wasting battery life so I would not recommend my camera. I used to have a smaller one and it took forever for the shutter to capture the picture and I went to Alaska with my husband and of course missed all the whales coming up out of the water because the stupid camera was so bleeping slow.

So, to me the number one thing of course is speed in capturing the photo, battery life, and photo quality INDOOR and out. My 5700 takes beautiful outdoor photos but of course I'm not always outside taking photos. My current SLR is an EOS Rebel (don't use at all now because of my digital though) so if I were to look into another digital camera I would probably look into getting an EOS digital. My EOS is very user friendly.

Here's a cool website that I've saved in my favorites and I'm sure you'll appreciate!

Click on either the camera, car or pda icon on the right and it will advise you of the best choices for your preferences.
http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/home.do
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Interesting - looks like I'm looking for a fairly high-end camera . Thanks! Great site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:52 AM

I found five cameras with the fastest shutter speeds ranging in price from $389 to $849 for my preferences anyway - quite a range. I got mine off e-bay last Christmas. Mack Cameras - it was a package deal (and a good one).
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, fast shutter speed should have been mentioned in my original post - I take lots of candids of kids - and you can imagine how long they stay still waiting for the camera to go off! (I work at a preschool - I'm not just a weirdo!)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 02:14 AM

I found one for under $100 at walmart it is the Kodak Easy Share 7300. It is a awesome lil fellow!!!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to zacntonysmomma
i have a sony cybershot.....its easy and awesome...also takes videos.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:05 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I don't have one. But my ship might still come in!

cwuan, that sounds like a good price. It's much lower than most I see advertised. Maybe there is still hope!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Jeanie, are you looking for a basic digital? (Hint, hint; I've yet to see a picture of your feline babies.) You can find them at a good price, if you're just looking for something simple that'll give you photos to post. You can find them around $50 sometimes - usually you just can't get a good resolution over 12 X 16 inches, but they'll do well for sharing over the internet, or printing 4 X 6's, even up to 8 X 10's.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 08:12 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to zacntonysmomma
But remember guys, you get what you pay for. need to spend at least 100.00 to get a decent digital camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page