Thanksgiving Tradition - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanksgiving Tradition

So what does your family do on Thanksgiving? I know - EAT!

But beyond that, what are your family traditions?

We are from Houston and every year we would take our six children to the parade in downtown Houston. Stories from those days are now legendary at our house!

We now live in the Midwest (where it's too cold for Thankgiving parades), so we began some new traditions. What are yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artwork by ForJazz

It's my cat's world, I'm just here to open the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I do the cooking and everyone comes here. I know it's not original, but we go around the table, each person telling the others what they're thankful for. The favorite thank you is that the family is all together. My prayer is the formal one, and of course, I thank God for many things. So one time one of the little ones was asked to say Grace at another dinner, and she said she was going to do a Jeanie prayer...and for the next several minutes, she thanked God for almost everything under the sun! I think we had a cold dinner that night!

We have all of the traditional foods, and the animals always get a treat. This will be the first time in many years that noone will be taking our collie, Beethoven's treat to him. He died this summer. But the kitties will have some good giblets! After the dishwasher's loaded we light the candles and have our pumpkin pie by candlelight. Somehow it tastes better that way!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
After the dishwasher's loaded we light the candles and have our pumpkin pie by candlelight. Somehow it tastes better that way!
Jeanie, that is so cool!

I know a family who's tradition on Thanksgiving night is to always go to the movies.

We have gone to the local park and had a shoe-kicking contest. You know, everyone swings as high as they can then sees who can kick their shoe the furthest. The winner gets the crown until next year (It's a Burger King crown)

artwork by ForJazz

It's my cat's world, I'm just here to open the cans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:18 PM

We're unoriginal. Just the traditional Thanksgiving Dinner, with extra special prayers of thanks. One thing we do, is that often the younger children get a gift they've been especially wanting all year, this is usually done by a member of the family the child does not get to see often. Thanksgiving for us is a kick-off to the holiday season; the gifts are a way for the children have something special to look forward to, along with seeing relatives they don't often see, and give them a little something extra to reflect on being thankful for.

I like seeing family I don't often see. This year, a relative of my deceased mother is flying out to meet the family! She's also bringing her family. She was only recently located and I've never met her. (My aunt has met her, and I have talked to her on the phone though.) I'm very excited about that!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That is so special, Jessica!

Tonkmom, you reminded me of something. While I'm doing the cooking, my son is at the Turkey Bowl, or should I say, "The Mud Bowl?" A gang gets together and plays football, and afterwards, you can't see my son for the mud! It's cold and wet out there....but they think it's fun.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 10:47 PM

Our Thankgiving Tradition is to not have any traditions at all! =D Sometimes we meet at our family's houses. Sometimes my brothers and I had Thanksgiving with friends while my parents were out of town. I remember one year when my cousins and I went for a walk during Thanksgiving day while our moms cooked... they waited so long to get started - we were starving... and we weren't going to eat for another 2 or 3 hours! So we went to the nearest gas station and got a microwavable borito. We never told anyone our little secret!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Cat Addict

Both of my brothers and family go to my parents house. (My sister still lives with them.) It's a very typical Thanksgiving. We're from Detroit so we pay extra special attention to the football game. (The Lions play at home on Thanksgiving every year.)

We used to go to my grandma's house and have Thanksgiving with all of the extended family, but the family doesn't really gather like that since Gram passed.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 07:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Well, this year will be different because I usually plan the Thanksigiving meal. My mom traditionally does the turkey (free-range organic - mmmmmmmm), and my dad the mashed potatoes and the gravy, but I think up all the appetizers, side dishes, and deserts. But, since I'll be gone the week before Thanksgiving (getting back that Tuesday night), I won't be able to do it this year. So we'll see how things turn out...

My aunt, uncle, and cousin come down from Vermont, an my grandfather comes up from Massachusettes. This year, my friend will also be joining us (she's going on the trip with me, and when we get back her family will already be gone for the holiday). There's only 9 of us total, 10 with my friend, so it's not a terribly large affair. We do eat enough food for a small army But it's soooo good...

After dinner, my younger brother, sister, and cousin dissapear somewhere to play, my mom, uncle and grandfather watch the football game, my aunt and I play cards, and my dad usually floats around, maybe taking a nap or enjoying a book (he's not really a sports guy).

My brother's birthday is always around or on Thanksgiving (27th), so my cousin usually spends the night and we all celebrate the next day.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 01:56 PM

My wife and I take turns at each others families house for dinner. This year is at my parents house...yeah...My dad makes and roasted chestnut stuffing that has been passed on for 3 generations now. We have all the traditional accompaniments. This is one of my favorite holidays. I love being with the family without the hectic pace that accompanys some of the other holidays.

Jeanie sorry to hear about your collie. I was brought up with collies. They're one of my favorite dogs. Wish I could own one now. I have a huge fenced in yard the dog would love it. But with my wife and I both working it wouldnt be fair.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 02:15 PM

When I was little, it was a big get-together next door at Grandma's. My mom had six brothers and sisters so you can imagine the gathering with all of them plus the grandchildren. Grandpa would bring home long folding tables from the rec center just so we could all sit down. The best part was playing with the cousins we didn't get to see much. My biggest memory from it all, though, was having to help with the dishes. My mom was the only one that made her two oldest children help with the dishes. Not fun!

The past 5 Thanksgivings have been spent with my bf and his family (he is one of 5 kids). It's become a big deal. We drive down on Wednesday night, eat and watch football on Thanksgiving (with me being the only one rooting for Dallas, of cours), and then he and I usually go to a movie that night. The rest of the weekend is spent visiting friends. It's a lot of fun.

Oh, and he gets to cook the turkey this year! He's really great at it. We actually have turkey a couple of times a year at our house. His mom is letting him take over this year; he's pretty excited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page