Apple Vs. Regular PC's - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Apple Vs. Regular PC's

My notebook is being sold and I'm getting an Apple. I've heard there are some things I can't do on an Apple or view on it that I could with my regular PC. I've got everything on an external hard drive and I basically want to view my pictures, look at my video pics, and listen to my mp3 music. Do I need to buy additional software or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 12:26 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
you might be able to..

it's kinda complicated.

you will have to find the mac equivelent to all your software in order to view it, and moving it over isn't going to be easy.

Some thing will work, some things wont.. it's really hard to say..

good luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 01:06 AM

Apple? Oh man. I know some people are die hard Mac fans, but every time I've messed with them, I hated how they worked. The worst part about them is the price and limited software they have. Way too much of a niche product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Cat Addict

You shouldn't have any major problems with viewing pictures, videos, and playing music. Although you probably find that you won't be able to use a lot of the software you're already accustomed to. (An example is that I don't believe you can get Winamp on a Mac..)

Macs are perfectly good machines. At first, OSX seems very backward to a longtime PC user but after getting used to it they're pretty easy. I really don't see a difference in stability between Windows and Mac operating systems. They both crash sometimes...

The biggest reason I don't have a Mac is that they're impossible to upgrade on your own. I like to build my own computer and upgrade little bits at a time. That's not possible with a Mac. I do plan on buying one someday, I want to have both kinds side by side.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:50 AM

Well, I'm just a silly blonde, but I've upgraded my Mac's several times. So I don't know what holds true or not. I think *some* might be prejustice about Macs, especially listen to die hard PC users.

The main thing is: You can do *anything* you want on a Mac that you do on a PC EXCEPT playing games. Well you can play games, but usually they release the games late an they aren't well written and doesn't perform well on a Mac. And most real gamers get XBoxes or Gamestations instead, that's something that's made for games, regardless of what type of computer you use.

I play any music I want, any video I want, I can even EDIT my video I shoot myself with the application that comes with the Mac.

To view video or even edit video, you really don't need to buy a thing, iMovie comes with the Mac to edit video. To view video you use QuickTime or some FREE thirdparty applications, such has VLC, which can play ANY video codec there is on the market. iTunes plays your mp3's (and even other sound formats). iPhoto organizes your photos and you can even make some small adjustments to the images. iDVD, if you buy a Mac with a DVD-recorder, will let you make your own DVD's that you can play on the TV, give away to friend and family with pictures, movies etc.

You really don't need to buy any applications to get started with a Mac, most apps can be downloaded from the Internet as well, if there's something special you have need for. The Office 2004 package is great and written specially for Macintosh and some even say that it's a better package than the Office for Windows, some features you don't find elsewhere. Office you can pick up for student price if you are going to use it privately, even for those who are not students, as long as you don't use it professionally (i.e. earn money from writing or doing spreadsheets or Powerpoints or whatever).

I've been a Macuser for almost 20 years now, I got started using a Mac in 1985 and got my own about 1.5 years later. Never looked back since.

The new Mac OS X (now at 10.3.6) is a very stable system and one thing you really will love. Especially the fact that you won't find ANY viruses made for Mac OS X. The older Mac OS had about 40 known viruses, while Windows have what... uhm... is it even enough to say 40,000? Might be more now. *scary*

Well, if you have any particular needs that you're worried about, let me know and I'll answer any questions you might need answers to, or point you into a direction where you can find those answers.

Don't listen to those die hard PC users, even my hubby, who is a certified Microsoft technican likes Mac's. But he says Windows keeps food on our table.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for all your help. I was just worried since someone mentioned that to me. I'm pretty sure I can do most of what I need on there, especially since alot of times the software I download gives me PC or Mac options too.

Quick question though.....All my stuff is on my external hard drive, does it just transfer to the Apple just like it does to the PC and I am already able to view everything right away
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
you will have to drag it all over to the Apple.. you can't view it fromt he harddrive since it's on a different operating system,

The cternam hard drive is the easiest way to do it though!! just click and drag.. but only little pieces at a time!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPet
Well, I'm just a silly blonde, but I've upgraded my Mac's several times. So I don't know what holds true or not. I think *some* might be prejustice about Macs, especially listen to die hard PC users.
I may have mispoke. What I meant was that if I want to mark a hardware upgrade then *I* want to do it. Lets say I wanted a new video card, I want to go to newegg.com read the reviews, study up on brands, order, and install myself. It's cheaper that way.. and a bit more fun. (computer nerd ) If that's no longer true about Macs then I apologize. I don't keep on them as much as I'd like to.

About virii and worms, Macs definitely have an advantage in that there really aren't any. However, it is so easy to avoid them on a windows platform. Maybe it seems like unnecessary work for a Mac user but it's quite simple.

-I never use Internet Explorer, that's asking for trouble. I use Mozilla FireFox instead. (Opera is a perfectly good browser too.) They're much more secure than IE.
-I use a router with a built in firewall.
-I'm careful about what I download, and only grab things from sites that I trust.

I've been virus/worm free for well over a year now. I don't even have an anti-virus program installed, it's not really necessary.

I do really like Macs, and often find myself defending them on message forums. I don't use the windows taskbar, I use objectbar instead which is a pc version of the Mac "dock". I have an OS Panther skin installed on my computer. It obviously has many PC characteristics, but I believe it looks more like a Mac.

Kim, I'm not so sure I can help you with transferring files back and forth. I have zero experience doing it. But as Petra mentioned, you will be able to find good software -- and usually for free.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:11 PM

Padunk, it's no big difference, the most recent Macs, since 1995 or so *wink* have been able to use the most common video cards, etc. But Apple has had less support for "not-so-good" hardware. Nowadays you can more or less get anything to put in your stationary Mac.

And besides, if you get a laptop, you don't do much upgrades regardless if it's a Mac or a PC. You can more or less only up the memory and change the harddrive.

As for the question about transfering files from the external harddrive. Yes, it's possible *IF* the harddrive is formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS. NTFS is not readable for a Mac, but a Mac can read (and format) a FAT32 formatted drive. So if it's formatted that way you should without any problems be able to hook up your drive to your Mac and copy over the files you want.

If that doesn't work, you can always burn CD's and use them as transfers. CD-RW is a good way to move files and burn in ISO 9660 format so both Mac and PC and read the CD's. Or you can hook up your PC and Mac and do a transfer with an ethernet cable via file sharing.

But in the future it's best to have the harddrive formatted in HFS+ (Extended) that is the file structure Apple uses.

Hope this helps.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thank you so much for that information. I will be back if I have anymore questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page