questions about vet school - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

questions about vet school

It occurred to me this year that I might want to become a vet. The problem is that I've been on a different school track for a long time. Right now I'm almost finished with a History major and a Business minor and I was thinking of adding a Spanish minor if the school offers enough courses to fit it in by next December. Not only do I not have enough sciences on my academic record, I don't think my school even offers many of the courses that I saw suggested and some that are required on this page http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/pre ... ission.htm

I was thinking of finishing up my Business and my History degrees and use that last semester to get as many of the requirements as I can, but I won't be able to get all of them. The reason I have to finish by December is because I'm on a program that requires that I finish in two years.

I had a 30 on my ACT (but that was in 1999) and I'll probably end up with around a 3.8 GPA. The only reason it's not higher is because I spent much of school meandering because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do and waffled with my motivation. If I need to, I could go back, re-take some classes, and turn some of those B's into A's. When I first went to school, I thought about art, then writing, then Journalism, then communication, then theater, then History Professor, and for a while lawyer. Finally, I just decided that I wanted some kind of business degree to help me get a job and since I already had some History courses I'd take that as my major. In between, I actually took 2.5 years off because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do - everything I thought about doing before didn't feel right to me and I didn't want to spend all that money thinking about it. In December, I'll finish in 4 school years, but it would actually have taken 6.5 chronological years.

Being a vet feels right to me. I remember I've always been interested in animals. At one point, I actually wanted to get a zoology degree but discarded that idea because I didn't think it was worth it since there were limited jobs. In the past, I was discouraged by the idea of being a vet because I heard it was really competitive but now I regret not taking up the challenge. I've read up a lot on animals, especially cats and dogs, so I already know a lot about them. It's a matter of getting the training.

Here're my questions:
1. Would I likely have to basically start over in a different school to have any chance at getting into vet school?
2. Is there any chance that I could take my missing courses in the vet school?
3. There's a good chance that I won't be able to go directly into vet school because of financial and other difficulties. Is waiting a year or two going to hurt my chances a lot?
4. I don't have extracurriculars other than a job. Is this going to hurt me?
5. Is there anything I can do at this point to better my chances of getting in?

If you don't know answers to these questions could you direct me to somewhere on the net I could ask them if you know of any? I tried looking myself, but couldn't find a place related directly to asking questions about schooling. My school isn't really set up for veterinary education and my advisor if for history so I don't think I'll get much help from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page