The City Scammed me and I'm super upset! (long) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The City Scammed me and I'm super upset! (long)

Okay, I'm thoroughly annoyed by a little fiasco I've had with the city and wanted to vent. I hope you guys don't mind, and if I'm being nutty, by all means tell me!

So, here's my story...
I live in Chicago in an apartment, but we have paid parking right behind our building. For all intents and purposes it serves as a driveway really, but the only difference is that i have to drive around the back of the building through and alley in order to pull into my spot.

So, one morning in August I walk out to my car to leave for work and there is a parking ticket glued to my window. (Btw, I hate the way they press them across your windshield, I still can't get that residue off and it's right in my way when i'm driving). "NO PARKING ZONE" it says. Um, is this some kind of joke? I'm in my driveway pulled up against our back porch and I'm sandwiched inbetween my neighbors 2 cars who did not have tickets on their windshields. I decided that this wasn't going to fly with me and I would elect to "contest by mail" as it gives you the option on the ticket.

I noticed a few things after examining the ticket and decided to contest based on a FEW things:

1. The date and time that the "violation" allegedly occurred was left blank.
2. My car was parked in my parking space that I PAY for in my rent every month and have as part of my lease agreement, so in no way shape or form was my car parked in a "NO PARKING ZONE"
3. THIS IS MY FAVORITE - The address listed on the ticket was 3701 My Street - and the address my car was parked at (and I'm sure about this because I live there!) is 3709 My Street.

Based on those things, I felt I had a pretty darn good case. I also looked up the rules for contesting a parking violation on the city's website and one of the reasons a violation would get dismissed is if the ticket contains any "inaccurate information". Well, this should have been a slam dunk then! So, I sent a letter with all the documentation, included copies of my lease proving i had a parking space and a copy of my drivers license proving my address, etc.

I hadn't heard anything from them yet, so today on my lunch break I called the city to inquire about the status of my "violation". I spoke to a woman who told me I was found "liable for the violation" and they sent me a notice on October 21st. I explained to her that I didn't receive any notices and that was why I was calling. She proceeded to tell me that it was sent and I have 25 days from the date of the letter to file an appeal. If I am not going to file an appeal, I have 21 days from the date of the notice to pay the fine. That seems backwards to me, don't they need to know if you are appealing before they can render the fine due?

I asked the woman what the grounds were for finding me "liable" and she told me I didn't provide them sufficient evidence. I explained to her that the ticket was not filled in all the way, that the violation claims i was parked in a no parking zone and i was in my driveway, which i provided proof of having an assigned parking space and the address of the spot and I ALSO told her that the address that the tickets says my car was parked at was wrong. She told me I didn't provide proof of that...I said, "with all due respect ma'am, I walked up and down the street two times and the address that the officer wrote on my violation doesn't even exist! THERE IS NO SUCH ADDRESS. So, how can you tell me I was parked there and that I'm the one who is not providing the evidence?" Her response was that I did not provide evidence. I asked her how exactly would one provide evidence of something that fails to exist? I said, perhaps I should go get my digital camera and take a picture of the air? Maybe i should stand in between 2 buildings and take a photo showing where I believe the numeric address of 3701 WOULD exist.

The end result, a big fat, sorry you didn't provide enough evidence, if you want to appeal this you can go to 50 W. Washington Street downtown and wait in line for hours and file an appeal. I asked her how long I had left to do that and she told me just a few days because they mailed the notice on October 21st. Then she told me it costs $75.00 to file the appeal. Um, it's going to cost me a day off of work plus $75.00 to file an appeal to contest a $120 parking ticket? She said "YEP". And, after I file the appeal, I'd have to take another day off work to go downtown and sit in court until they called me on my scheduled date. I told her this was a scam and I knew what this was designed for. They make it impossible to fight the ticket so that people will just give up and pay it. I told her my time was more valuable than that and to just tell me when I had to pay the ticket by. She told me - well actually it is past due now and the fine has doubled. It's now going to costs $240.00.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?
I WANT TO RIP MY HAIR OUT! I have to pay $240.00 for a FALSE violation. HOW DO THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Thats ridiculious.........Its unbelievable what they can get away with

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
That is NUTS...I would have gone TO the office of the lady you were talking to and dragged her by her heels to the non existant address, then yelled "THERE! IS THAT YOUR PROOF!?" That is inexcusable. AAARGH! I'm ticked off FOR you!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

ARRRGH!
Thank you guys for responding! Believe it or not it does make me feel better to know that I'm not the crazy one and that this is as frustrating as I thought it was!

I hate that they do this to people AND I am by no means well off, but I'm making ends meet (most of the time!) and I really hate to think that they may be doing this to others that truly would be left in a financial bind over something like this. You have no choice but to pay them because they'll boot your car.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
That's absolutely despicable! Have you written a letter to the newspaper yet? That's a really good way to get it out there; I'm sure there are other people in your situation that will not speak up for themselves
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Cool Cat

That is BS and it angers me to think that they are getting away with it. There has to be a higher source you can take this to. This appeal thing doesn't sound right. You have to be found guilty before you can appeal and it doesn't sound like you have even been given the opportunity for an initial court appearance, in which to be found guilty in the first place.

Check out www.motorists.org. They are a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of US motorists. Your profile doesn't say if you are in the states but if so I would check it out. I don't know if you can find any helpful information there without being a member but joining is only $35 a year and they can provide you with all kinds of information, including contact information for people who can help you with this case. I've been a member of NMA for 5 years and they are passionate about not letting cities and court systems get away with such "scams".
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Richo, I am in Illinois - so I will check out that site for sure! Thank you for the link. Even if I can't come out victorius, maybe I'll be able to have a hand in putting a stop to this!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, I asked to speak to a supervisor too and I was told that they'd take my name and number and someone would call me back within a WEEK! Well, when they have everything on these timelines that are ALREADY past before you even get their notices, someone getting back to you in a week isn't going to do much is it??
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo
You have to be found guilty before you can appeal and it doesn't sound like you have even been given the opportunity for an initial court appearance, in which to be found guilty in the first place.
They only give you the option (initially) to "contest by mail" in which case they decide based on the evidence you submit through the mail whether or not you are "guilty" of their violation. It's a crock!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 AM
Cool Cat

I just checked NMA and there is an activist for the state of Illinois that can be contacted by phone or e-mail, but unfortunately this information is only available to members. I could give you the name and number if you wish but he may question your NMA membership status and ask where you got his number from.

Can you request an extension (saying you don't have the money right now) to give you time to look into fighting it, so they don't boot your car in the mean time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page