My computer is dead - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

My computer is dead

Im on my boyfriend computer at the moment, I dont know when I will be properly here, I dont know what is wrong with my computer.
Ill explain the problems incase anyone has some ideas as I am extreeeeeemily reluctant to pay anyone to look at it.

First I started randomly loosing sound, then I would freeze when sound died.
I took the sound card out and started using onboard sound.
That same night my computer crashed, got the blue screen thingy with it saying "doing physical memory dump" but in more silly words
Unplugged onboard sound...
After several times of this I reinstalled windows, all was good, then I installed my graphic card drivers, and it crashed again (Radeon 8500)
So I guessed something was wrong with that, so I took out my graphics card and put one in I have knocking around the house (Geforce2MX)
All was god for about 5 mins and then it crashed again.

It is strange, my moniter goes off the lights at the front goes off but you can hear the fans etc still going inside.
I took my 2 memory sticks out and cleaned them also, that hasnt helped.

Now im at a complete loss, I have no clue what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 PM

Only two things you didn't mention were the power supply or the motherboard. If it blue screens again, write down the Stop number, and search Microsoft's site. That will give you a general idea as to what the problem could be.

I once had a computer where the motherboard was "frying" (too hot in the dorm room for it and not enough ventilation) and had similar symptoms to what you're describing. The only way to test the motherboard is to try the other parts in another, working machine. The one part you won't be able to "test" in another machine would be the processor.

Good luck....and please (I know you didn't say you were going to but..) don't take it to Best Buy.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 01:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I wish I could help, but I'm always asking for advice myself! I hope it's fixable-at a reasonable price. We can't do without you, so I guess your boyfriend will have to be computerless for a little while.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 01:32 PM

Can you get online from it at all?? I found this really helpful website called pcpitstop.com which has helped us when our computer has problems... it runs a series of tests on your computer then gives you suggestions as to how to fix it... that's about all I know...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

It doesnt stay "alive" long enough to be able to do anything :\

Both the power supply and motherboard are new, maybe 2 months old, as is both memory sticks.
Its not overheating as all fans are running plus I check in bio, Motherboard moniter and using software sandra, temp is normal for my processor (AMDXP3200)

My next move is to do a clean install on my empty partition, and see what happens (Help tell me if it is a HW or a SW problem)

Tonight my b/f is at college so I have his compu, tomorrow I will be pulling my hair out!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Cat Addict

How many watts is your power supply? Is it strong enough to power your mobo/processor?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Yep
My system has been running fine for 2 months, then this.
I cant remember the precise power of my supply, but I remember I bought it specifically because my old one wasnt enough.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Cat Addict

So you've used two video cards and one sound card and onboard sound and still have the problem?

What else do you have in your PCI slots? I had a friend that had real problems because he installed a thing that gave him for extra USB ports. After taking that out he was good. It's a bit of a long shot, but you could have a funky network card, or dialup modem, etc.

I would run it with minimum hardware, onboard sound, no video card, no modems, and all that and see what happens. If the computer is okay, then plug one thing in at a time until the problems begin again.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Modem is no longer is, but it was an speedtouch ADSL modem.
I dont have extra USB ports but ive had them for donkeys, even on my old set up, it use to be so I have USB 2, but my new MOBO came with that.
Network is built into the modem, so is sound, altho I completly disabled that in the end as I thought it was that.

I will try a clean install on my emtpy partition, see what that does, if that fails all un-nessesery things out, and one back in at a time.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Cat Addict

Yeah if you can get to the bottom of it, it's going to be a real pain.

I'm not a fan of taking my stuff in either, it's hard to trust people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page