Worst food or drink ripoffs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Worst food or drink ripoffs

What are the worst food or drink ripoffs you've seen or experienced? The worst one I've experienced was at the Denver Zoo. They charged $3 for a 32oz. soda, then filled it almost to the top with pellet ice and less than 8 ounces of soda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:06 AM

$5 for a domestic beer. Or...$4.00 for a bratwurst.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Ta3339
Disney all the way.. $2.50 for water!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta3339
Disney all the way.. $250 for water!!
$250? Wow - that IS expensive. (hahaha)

The theatre is by a long shot in my mind. I mean $5 for a pop? Ours has pop dispensers inside (that dispense bottles) and even they cost $2.75.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Tom Cat

Anything Starbucks..............in my humble opinion. Not to in-flame you coffee types out there, but I have never and will never drink coffee. What I overhear people saying they pay for a "beverage" there in my mind can't be justified.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I agree on starbucks. I won't go there. BUT i AM a coffee drinker, and I stick to smaller indipendant coffee shops, that seem to have much more reasonable prices

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 04:28 PM

ripoffs

movie theatres all the way bean!

another would be in canada's wonderland...it was also like 2.75 for water
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Cat Addict

Re: ripoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Raiynee22
Not to sound like I'm proud of this or anything but the theatres in this town are owned by Carmike Cinemas and they let anyone who is in a wheelchair (me) and one companion (my husband) get in free. That's about the nicest thing I've ever come across in business because sometimes it's hard to get a spot for a wheelchair, and they just redid the seating arrangements in all our theatres so that they are now stadium seating with a specific handicap seating area that has chairs taken out every so often so you and your companion can sit together. The employees at the theatre will enforce the rule as long as a problem is addressed to them to. If those seats are filled with people who don't need them they will make those people move.

The food and beverages inside the theatres are still a ripoff but who can resist movie popcorn?

OK, sorry for getting off on a little tangent there. I still don't think movies are the worse ripoff. I would have to agree that Disneyland is probably the biggest ripoff I've ever experienced, but we're still taking our kids there someday because it was the experience of a lifetime for me. The water is expensive and so is the food. They know they've got you once your in the gate so they don't care. They're there to make money.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 AM

Theaters seem like a rip off, but I try to consider that they make almost no money from ticket sales, and so the price of concessions is where they make their money.

Anyway, I once paid $4 for a water at a concert, and was very surprised when I got the water in a 16 oz cup filled with "slushee" ice. What a rip! (Of course, it also cost me $12 to park, and they just stacked the cars up in the lot, so to get out you literally had to wait for everyone who came after you to leave, or you couldn't even move your car.)
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 04:22 AM

Re: ripoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndkittymom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Raiynee22
Not to sound like I'm proud of this or anything but the theatres in this town are owned by Carmike Cinemas and they let anyone who is in a wheelchair (me) and one companion (my husband) get in free. That's about the nicest thing I've ever come across in business because sometimes it's hard to get a spot for a wheelchair, and they just redid the seating arrangements in all our theatres so that they are now stadium seating with a specific handicap seating area that has chairs taken out every so often so you and your companion can sit together. The employees at the theatre will enforce the rule as long as a problem is addressed to them to. If those seats are filled with people who don't need them they will make those people move.

The food and beverages inside the theatres are still a ripoff but who can resist movie popcorn?

OK, sorry for getting off on a little tangent there. I still don't think movies are the worse ripoff. I would have to agree that Disneyland is probably the biggest ripoff I've ever experienced, but we're still taking our kids there someday because it was the experience of a lifetime for me. The water is expensive and so is the food. They know they've got you once your in the gate so they don't care. They're there to make money.

That is great to hear what your home town theater is doing!!!! My best friend for 26 years (since the 7th grade) is now in a wheelchair also...she has MS.

And is there anything better in the world than actual theater popcorn??? I just love it!!! It is a real rip off what places charge, though. I went to the Iowa State Fair this summer and the prices for drinks and food were just unbelievable!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page