Post interesting animal pictures you've seen - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Post interesting animal pictures you've seen

Here's one I saw a while ago where Great Pyrenees dogs are chasing away a brown bear:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
This is by far the most interesting animal pic I have ever seen. If you're interested in how this child came to be on this tiger without the risk of being eaten, you can visit the webpage. It's actually really interesting...especially if you read about how the tiger (her name is Qadesh) was raised.

www.qadesh.com

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I was looking through Qadesh's site today (the tiger pictured above) and found that she passed away in July I was saddened by this news, since her appearences did so much in the area, for awareness of the risk of extinction of tigers in the wild, and for better care of those in captivity. I had wanted to meet her, since she seemed like such an interesting creature. (not to mention the man that raised her). Sadly, now many won't have that oppurtunity.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:02 AM
Premier Cat

Sooo georgeous, I'm sad to hear he passed away
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 01:54 PM

Aww, poor tiger (why can't they live forever?), well, this one:

Or

"Golly, this light is getting dim, maybe i should change it!"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
It's an interesting case, that tiger. I hope that man understands how unique she was and doesn't get another tiger with the expectation that he can get the same result. We had a quote hanging at the refuge I worked at that reads "Do not confuse one tame cat with the domestication of an entire species."

Next to that was a picture of KC, our "ambassador" cougar, the only cat that is ever used for pictures, and even then rarely. I have a picture with him, as all interns get at the end of their terms. Still, they would never trust him with a baby like that, and I think it's a bit naive, as sweet as that tiger may have been.

Quote:
The other anxiety people voice is: "But they are still wild animals; what about their 'wild' instinct? Aren't you afraid they're just going to turn 'wild' (read: 'berserk' - this is another variation of the 'unpredictability' theme)?" The succinct answer is a simple no; what they are calling 'wild instinct' should be more correctly termed 'survival instinct'. It is the instinct to attack prey for survival (food), and only fight to defend one's territory, because fighting is dangerous to one's own survival (evolution has taught even tigers that critical lesson - too bad we humans haven't learned it better as yet),
The idea I get from this is that because she was well-fed, the tiger never felt the need to attack, and that she had no prey drive. But one of the first things the refuge teaches its new interns is to never turn your back on a cage. Cats that have been hand-raised and may otherwise be gentle will become alert at the sight of a turned back. Because no matter how "tame" that cat may be, it does still have that instinct. Once in a while a staff member would demonstrate the "red light, green light" game to visitors. This involved saying hello to a tiger (who would often chuff a hello back), and watching it. This is "red light." Then the staff member would turn his/her back to the cage. This is "green light." Almost without fail, the "tame" tiger would perk up and go into stalk mode. Sometimes they would start to pounce. "Green light" never lasted long for safety reasons, and the staff member would turn back around into "red light." If pouncing, the cat would stop. If stalking (crouched with ears back), it would relax. Very interesting.

I'm not trying to be a party-pooper, and I'm not an expert, but I think it's scary as all get out that someone can put a child onto a tiger's back and take a picture of it, then justify it with "She's well-loved, well taken care of, and she's never been in a cage." Right, so let me go out and buy a tiger cub, let it sleep in my bed, socialize it, and I'm going to have a 500 lb docile baby on my hands. Cool. No.

Yes, I believe there are special animals who have it in them to... I don't know what... allow themselves to be domesticated? And I believe there are special people that can make it happen. I've always been in awe of Doug Suess and his ability to train grizzly bears and communicate with them so well that he is able to wrestle with them when they're 1,500 lbs, let one put his head in its mouth, and not fear. But even I think even Doug Suess knows not to put a baby on his grizzlys' backs.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Banned

I've seen a picture of a native who lives in the tiger area & he wore a mask (that looks like a face) on the back of his head from getting attacked at the back from a tiger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page