Angry...Defrauded on eBay (long) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Angry...Defrauded on eBay (long)

Over a month ago I purchased an item from a new seller with a 0 feedback rating not really thinking much about it. Everyone on eBay starts at zero to begin with. The auction page said that the item would ship USPS priority (3 day delivery) the following day after payment is received. After a week I hadn't received the item and e-mailed the seller. I received no reply and e-mailed again 2 days later. Still no reply so 3 days later I e-mailed threatening negative feedback and a buyer complaint to PayPal, which is the service I used to pay for the item. I finally got a response saying that they had been very busy and forgot about it and it would be shipped the next day. Well, a week later I still hadn't received the item so I e-mailed again and got a response simply stating "sorry for the delay, you should receive it any day.". Well that was the last I ever heard from the seller and a week later I checked eBay to find that this seller is no longer a registered user. eBay wouldn't disclose information as to why this user was suspended but I'm guessing that another member was defrauded as well and filed a complaint. I know that this seller was selling more than just the one item I purchased so I'm sure that I'm not the only one. So next I attained the seller's phone number from eBay, and surprise surprise, it was not legitimate. I filled out a fraud report on eBay, filed a buyer complaint with PayPal and filled out a US Government internet fraud report. After investigation, PayPal said that the user would not respond to their contacts but there was no money in their PayPal account to give me a refund.

The total amount lost was only $23 but it just angers me that someone can get away with something like this. It is apparent that this user planned it all along and being that it was not large a dollar amount, figured that the authorities would not lift a finger to come after them.

Next time I won't be so trusting of a new member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 06:43 PM

awwww sorry to hear that! I hope that person gets caaught or something.. **hugs**
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I was just reading through eBay's user discussion board regarding fraud and scams and this kind of stuff is a daily occurrence on eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo
I was just reading through eBay's user discussion board regarding fraud and scams and this kind of stuff is a daily occurrence on eBay.
Doesn't surprise me. That place would be easy scamming territory for anyone. Sorry about your experience.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 09:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I guess I'm so lucky that with all the tons of shopping I've done online I've never had something like this happen.

I can't understand how PayPal can't give you a refund. Well... rephrase that. They have to have some sort of account for the seller that your money went into that they can use to track this person down, right? I mean the money doesn't just vanish!

I know for a small amount like that its usually overlooked, which is probably why he'll get away with it over and over again but I'm sure if you keep trying there might be some way to get your money back.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 10:16 PM

I know - I hate buying stuff online too. I once bought a hello kitty item for my cousin - it took that person 2 months to get it for me - I thought my money was lost!

I really only trust big corperations with my money - it's too easy for the little guys to rip you off - and big corperations don't like bad feedback from their customers.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 11:41 PM

Maybe this guy has several accounts and only rips people off in small amounts so no one really goes after him, yet he is making small money off several people. How could they stop something like that? There has to be a way. There should be some way to verify people before letting them sell stuff online.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 01:52 AM

I do alot of online shopping, just not at Ebay. I've done a few transactions on Ebay, but they were minor. I've only been screwed once. I received a cordless phone I wanted, but the wrong color. They sent black, and that's a awful choice IMO. I ordered white, so I sent it back telling them they messed up and never did receive my phone. I e-mailed and everything. The website went offline a month or so later. I was out almost 100 bucks, because it was a new phone with new technology, like 2.4 GHz.

Other than that, I always have good luck shopping online with reputable stores. I order computer parts online, medical books, and all kinds of stuff I can't get in town or would rather not shop for. It's safe in most cases, just do your homework on the place before buying.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
A friend of mine had his ebay account suspended and didn't know why... He contacted ebay and found out someone had hacked his account and was using it to sell non-existant concert tickets... He is still getting emails asking where these tickets are... I think ebay were dealing with it last he told me...
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Senior Cat

i have to say that I've used e-bay lots of times and have always had good dealings but I know there are scams out there. Sorry to hear about your trouble

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page