CPAP machine for sleep apnea - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:44 PM

CPAP machine for sleep apnea

I've been diagnosed with sleep apnea and they are going to do a second night study with a CPAP machine so that one can be prescribed for me.

Does anyone else have sleep apnea and have to use a CPAP? If so, any suggestions on brands, usage, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Sleep apnea for anyone reading this that is confused is basically when your airways relax during sleep... so much so that it causes you to stop breathing momentarily and you wake up frequently without getting restful REM sleep...

I do not know what brands they use in the USA - they are pretty much the same design etc. There are ones that cover just the nose, and ones that cover both the mouth and nose... I guess it's just personal preference as to which you prefer... obviously with the mouth and nose one you can not talk whilst it is in situ...

My brother in law is in the process of getting a CPAP machine as he has sleep apnea and I am a stoodent nurse so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I might have some info for you somewhere

Hayley x
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:31 AM

My boyfriend has told me before that sometimes when he sleeps he knows he stops breathing and it wakes him up. I don't think he's ever talked to a doctor about it.

Is this a very serious problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 AM

I'm not sure if it's "serious" but it's definitely treatable. Both my parents have it. They're both obese, though. I think my mom's is caused more by a deviated septum and sinus issues rather than obesity, but not my dad's. They both are on machines, I'm not sure what "brand." However, my mom is going to be switching to the machine that releases moisture (she has sever sinus problems that she so delightfully passed on to me gentically ). Both use masks that cover their mouths so they don't snore.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismodliz
My boyfriend has told me before that sometimes when he sleeps he knows he stops breathing and it wakes him up. I don't think he's ever talked to a doctor about it.

Is this a very serious problem?
It can become serious if left untreated, especially if it's severe. Not to scare you, but my dad, who has severe sleep apnea was told that if he did not get the machine he could die from it. I highly recommend that he talk to his doctor about getting a sleep study done.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Heh a guy my boyfriend works with has what I can only describe as weird sleep apnea :lol

He apparently holds his breath in his sleep (for up to a minute) then he exhales very slowly but he kinda moans/squeaks as he does it :lol

He's a freak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page