Have you ever replaced the oxygen sensor on your car? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Have you ever replaced the oxygen sensor on your car?

....particularly on a honda civic (95), but I'd like to hear from anyone who has the experience of handling this job before.

From what I gather it doesn't seem to be terribly difficult. I know I'll need the special socket that has the slit down the side to allow the wires to slide through, but other than that...any tips, tricks or things I should look out for?

I'm in chicago, it's cold, snowy and dark early outside so I'd like to get in and get out!

Thanks everyone!
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 PM

I have a 97 civic and a vehicle freak bf.

He said get some penetrating oil (or WD-40) and spray/put it on top of the threads where the sensor thing goes into the exhaust pipe to loosen it up and it will be alot easier to take out..............you can rent the tool thingy from autozone just FYI.... then when you are just about done putting in the new sensor put some "anti-seize" on the pipe threads- that way when it needs to be replaced again it will come right out. You can get that at autozone too, its like some black oily creamy stuff. He also said don't get a universal sensor as a replacement.

PS I dont know what any of that means, I am just typing what he says, hehe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thank you so much! I understood everything you said. Tell your boyfriend I said thank you as well!

I was NOT going to get the universal sensor because it doesn't come with the connector on the end and i didn't want to worry about trying to correctly split and harness the 4 new wires with the 4 old. Is that why he says not to get a universal??

Never would have thought about the oil on the threads before hand. That's a great idea. I had a lot of trouble getting my fuel filter off a while back and that helped then too.

I didn't know you could rent tools from autozone...can I actually leave with it, or do i have to fix it outside in their lot then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oooh, since he sounds like he's done this before...did he change his because the check engine light was on, or because of another reason.

My CEL is not on, but I still suspect this may be part of my problem, plus it's long overdue anyway.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:11 AM

Yes he said that is pretty much the reson for not getting the universal sensor. And about the tool, you can leave with it, you dont have to just use it in their lot. He said he did change his (in his Dakota) because his check engine light was on, and also because he was having some performance issues, mileage and such.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Cool Cat

I haven't done it before, but you should check online where it is, cause it's different places in different cars. Sometimes it can be hidden pretty well too (I've heard sometimes it's on the downpipe from the exhaust manifold, and sometimes it's further down the exhaust, but it would be before the catalytic converter (which is a part of the exhaust that buldges out).

Mine was replaced by an exhaust mechanic, because they broke it off. It was right before the flexpipe on my exhaust (95 Hyundai Sonata). The flexpipe is a braided metal section that allows the engine to vibrate and keep the exhaust stationary.

You can check various places for prices. The dealer usually cost more - you can get aftermarket ones made by Bosch that are cheaper.

Also - anti-seize is great to have for ANYTHING on the car you have to screw on. It's great to put on the hub bolt threads when you but on your tires (if you change them yourself). It's a lot easier to remove tires that way. All the anti-seize I've seen in metallic grey - it probably comes in various colours. It's not oil though - it's a kinda greasy goop.

What makes you think it was an O2 sensor? Did you get a diagnostic done? My engine light came on once and I thought it may have been the O2 sensor, but it turned out to be a "mass airflow sensor".
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hi Bean,
Thanks for all the info. - I did look up the location, it's in the front engine area. It's mounted in the exhaust manifold and doesn't seem terribly hard to get to. I did not have any diagnostics run, I'm just experiencing really bad gas mileage mild hesitation and a bit of sputtering in lower gears (manual). I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, distributor cap, spark plugs and wires, etc. all within the last few months and nothing has helped.

The hesitation and sputtering has actually just started in the last week or so and didn't begin until I very stupidly drove the car on empty to work one day because I was too lazy to stop for gas. As it turned out, it was the day that the temp dropped a good 20 degrees or more and got below freezing. When I started the car that afternoon I immediately felt the idle was different and from that moment on it's been driving kind of crappy. I've already tried some dri-gas and fuel injector cleaner, which I must admit DID help. It's still there though.

The oxygen sensor has never been changed and I think it may be malfunctioning but not quite ka-put...so there's no harm in changing it. I assume it will at least help with the gas mileage as that's been declining significantly in the last year or so. My sister's car (2 years old than mine-same model), had the same problem and she had the O2 sensor replaced and it helped. Her CEL never came on...so I figure I'll give it a shot. I find the aftermarket parts like you mentioned for about 60 bucks and if I do it myself it's not a big money repair. It's a maintenance thing anyhow, i guess...so no harm.

I do think maybe I should replace the fuel filter again, as maybe when I let the gas get so low it brought up a lot of crap and it may be all clogged in there. What do you think? It's all stuff I can do myself before taking it in and getting ripped off by the dishonest jerks that run the repairs shops here in chicago. Atleast I know enough not to let them jerk me around too much. They always seem to back off a bit when they realize I'm not just some naive woman and I can bounce back a wee bit of shop talk. Last time I got free rotors with my brake job because the guy was jacking me around and I called his bluff on a few things. I didn't believe they would actually swap 'em out since they were claiming to do it for free so I made them leave me the old parts in the trunk and I sat in front of the window watching the guy the whole time. I know they hate me there, but oh well.

Anyway....getting back on track...

Any other suggestions for the DIY stuff that could fix my problem before I take her in somewhere? If I had an honest reliable mechanic, I wouldn't be so nutty about doing stuff myself, but I don't and that's why I try to do the best I can myself before having to bring it in. So far, so good.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Cool Cat

It's probably best to get a diagnostic test because it would be something you were unaware of. As I said, I thought my problem was due to an O2 sensor (engine light plus bad mileage) and it happened to be a mass airflow sensor (only on some car apparently - one of various types of sensors out there). Basically, if measures the air going into the engine and modulates the amount of fuel added to the combustion chamber.

In other words - it could be one of many things.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Cool Cat

I just realized - I suppose if the engine light isn't on a diagnostic check wouldn't tell anything. That being said if it was a problem with your O2 sensor, your check engine light would most likely be on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page