Foreign Language - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Foreign Language

Last year, after a rash of movies centered around Japanese language and culture were released (Kill Bill 1&2, Last Samurai, Lost in Translation and others) I realized I couldn't get enough of the Japanese language...such beautiful sounds! As a graduate student, I don't have hardly any time to do "fun" things for myself, but I bought a set of "Learn Japanese in Your Car" cds that I can play driving around, on the stereo or on my PC. With every word or phrase I learn, I get so excited. My whole life, I've been awed and inspired by eastern culture and have applied much of it to my own life. Learning Japanese is just one more step.

Do any of you know of any tools or materials I could use in learning Japanese? How about Japanese movies that you like? (We have Spirited Away and Millenium Actress, but that's it. And not really into much anime just by ignorance) The ideal thing would be to know someone who speaks the language fluently and to talk to them as often as possible, but I just don't have that opportunity right now.

What foreign languages do you all speak??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:09 AM

English.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 AM

I speak "cat"
(other than that, just english...although learning Japanese sounds fun!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Cat Addict

Czech, English. And I understand Slovakian (I can read a book, watch a movie...). Slovakian is very close to Czech. We understand them and they understand us. I can't speak Slovakian.

I also studied Spanish for 4 years, Italian for 1 year and German for 2 years. I always enjoyed studying other languages. It's so much fun!

-eva-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 01:24 PM

I am fluent in English and French. My Italian, Japanese and Catalan (the language of Barcelona) are good enough to ask for directions or order food in restaurants. I took a year and a half of ancient Greek in college and I am currently studying (very informally) Hebrew.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Premier Cat

English and Korean
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I think I've seen computer programs on CD for learning foreign language. That way instead of just reading or just listening to the words, you can see and hear at the same time. I'm not sure where I saw it though... but it seems really helpful.

Side note- my brother loves anime and "learned" how to speak japanese through the cartoons, but he really only knows a few words. I'm sad to say but it all sounds the same to me

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:40 PM

Lolakitty, it is a great idea to try to find Japanese speakers so you can practice, and they can correct your pronounciation. That's the best way to learn - we practice on our friends all the time, and they in turn practice their English on us.

I can't think of any movies that we've seen lately, but I'll add them when I remember. I also thought Japanese sounded so lovely, even the train announcers sounded lovely.

I speak English, Spanish, French, Mandarin and Cantonese. Grew up speaking British English and pidgin Creole (Jamaican). Re-learning ASL so I can sign with Pamela, and learning Farsi. Know a lot of operatic Italian, although how useful is up for debate, LOL. I learned enough Japanese and German to get around in the cities I visited.

Languages are wonderful. Most of the people we know speak 3 or more languages fluently. In one city we visited, *everyone* spoke 5 or 6 different languages.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Last Samurai
Mmm... Tom. Anyway...

I speak English mostly, understand some Greek, Macedonian & a little French, speak Greek & Macedonian a little. Love anime too!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 09:05 PM

I want to learn German, but I'm too busy to try myself. I have a bunch of books and CDs too. They always insist on teaching you as a tourist.

Czech would be cool as would any Slavic language, but I hear it's very difficult to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page