Hey, I'm back! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Hey, I'm back!

Well, that was quick, I know…

I got to thinking about this computer thing last night. And I decided to let it go. And it's not because of the hassle, or the cost, or anything like that...

Yeah, I’m upset that I lost those files. But I got back almost all of my most important ones – the kitten photos, which I was lucky to have stored online. As far as everything else…it was just stuff, and I was hanging on to it.

The music was nice to have, but I hardly ever listened to it. The videos I’ll certainly regret losing, but did I ever watch them? No. Was I even working on them? No, I never have time anymore. And if I’m honest, I never will.

The school work wasn’t critical, nothing I couldn’t replace. The documents…I’m bummed that I lost some of my journal entries. But they were just there, like so many other things, saved for the heck of saving them.

The photos can be replaced, the documents can be rewritten, the videos can be re-made. Yes, I spent a lot of time organizing my system. My stuff. But I didn’t use 90% of it. I reshuffled it and put it in a different folder, maybe, but it was just…there. Organized and unused. I didn’t throw anything away on the off chance that someday I might need it.

This experience has really shown me how much I cling to useless things, just for the sake of having them. I cried at first for what I had lost, until I realized I didn’t miss it. Sure, it may set me back a few steps, but will it amount to much in the grand scheme of things? No. In fact, I feel…lighter. No longer clinging to bits of data and things that will just slog up my system and sit there, unused. It’s like a fresh spring cleaning for my computer. So, I guess my dad may have done me an unintentional favor

Hello, world, this is the new me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Cat Addict

Good for you, but I would suggest a clean re-formatting of the hard drive. That way, you can really start from scratch.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 10:58 AM

I think that's a good attitude you have!

I agree with Rob, though, if you are starting over from scratch, you'd definitely benefit from a complete reformat and a completely clean install of your operating system. If you haven't done such an install in a long time, then you'll be amazed how much smoother and faster your computer will run, just to have gotten rid of the clutter. It's like comparing a completely organized room with a room that has "organized chaos". Despite knowing where everything is in the chaotic room, it'll still take you longer to find stuff than if it was just cleaned

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:35 AM

It's great that you're feeling so much better about the situation. When Brandon's hard drive crashed, it was like the end of the world. He STILL complains about it. But I'm with you on that. Once in a while I'll format my hard drive and delete all the "unnecessary" crap.

It's nice to just "let go."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Thanks for the tip!

um.........

...how do I do that?

I'm still a little wary to let dad touch my computer, you know? What would reformatting involve??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page