Need Baking Advice!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Need Baking Advice!!

I'm making a cheesecake for a Christmas lunch we're having on Wednesday.

We have a springform pan, but lost the bottom to it. I just got back from Walmart and really don't want to make another trip if I don't have to.

Here's my solution, but I don't know if it'll work. My brother says if we don't have a bottom then when we go to move the cake it'll fall apart (makes sense to me). I have a cheap plate and cover I had bought to bring it in on... the bottom is Hefty EZ foil. Is this oven safe?

I'm trying to find a Hefty website that might be able to answer, but for some reason I'm not having any luck.

I figure I can use the foil serving dish as the bottom and place the springform pan on top, pat down the crust and bake. Then pour in the cheesecake batter and bake again. When its all done, just remove the springform pan and its already on the serving plate.

In theory, it'll work perfeclty. But in reality maybe not. I don't know if I can put the foil pan in the oven (not sure if its all foil or has something in the middle that will melt).

If I can't use that, does anyone have any ideas of how to get the cake done so I can still move it to the serving plate in one piece?

I thought of just putting it on a regular sheet pan with foil then lifting the foil onto the serving plate... but it seems kinda risky.

Anyone?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope you can find some informatiion on one of these sites, Jessie.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Hefty+EZ+Foil+

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I thought everyone had a website these days! I'm so surprised that I just CAN'T find a website for Hefty!

Lots that sell their products though. From what I gather, most of their pans are this "EZ Foil" stuff, so I'm assuming its all the same material, so what I've got is ok to use...

its worth a shot anyway

I figure the worst that'll happen is it'll start to melt and I'll throw out one batch of crust. I've got a whole bag of graham cracker crumbs so I can risk one mistake

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 10:51 PM

My biggest concern would be that the plate you have doesn't fit as snugly as the original and your filling might leak out. I would make extra crust and push it up a little higher and thicker around the walls of the pan. You might wrap the outside of the pan in a single layer of aluminum foil just to be extra safe. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

oooooh - that's a good idea. Sadly, the cake is coming out of the oven in about 10 minutes

I didn't see any leakage though, which is good... and the pan is still solid!! score!

update to come...

Jessie

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Cat Addict

I've done everything from baby back ribs to baked potatoEs in teh hefty ez foils. No problems. the melting point of Al and most Al alloys is up above 600=700* F.

...werd up, I want a slice!

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm glad all went well, Jessie.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page