Other DSL users? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Other DSL users?

I live in the dark ages of "dial-up" LOL!

My question is....is DSL hard to hook-up? I cannot afford the $200 installation fee. They will give me instructions and everything to connect it myself for no extra charge.

Anyone already done this? Can I do this ya' think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 07:02 PM

Re: Other DSL users?

It's really easy. They give you step-by-step instructions and it's very simple to follow.

--Roze
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

OK Thanks!

I am most likely going to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Premier Cat

it's very, very easy.
you will be so happy with the change from dial up to dsl.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:13 AM
Cool Cat

Dial up.... yuk.

I've had SBC DSL for 2 years. They offered the first year at $29.99 per month and then after a year was up they gave me another year at the same price. Then the price suddenly went up to the regular $49.99 and I called to cancel. They wanted to keep me as a customer so they gave me 2 free months and the next year at $26.99.

I found the instructions easy to follow. You will have to open up your computer to install the card.

Oops, I was moving in my seat and my knee bumped the desk (Barnaby was laying on the desk next to the computer). Did he ever go flying out of the room, and then he slowly came back with a big tail. Poor scaredy cat.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:22 AM

Yep, I have SBC DSL - if your computer already has the ethernet plug-in, it's super easy - just hooking up a few cords, and they will walk you through the process. It's not supposed to be difficult to install the card yourself, but (like me) you may not even need to do it.

You won't regret it!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:22 AM

Bah DSL, get cable! LOL

I could never go back to dial-up, ever. What a nightmare dial-up is nowadays. Not practical at all.

FYI - You might need to check into some security apps when your on broadband. I guess Windows XP SP2's firewall is okay, but it's really limited. Also, a virus protection program is really a must, IMO.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Premier Cat

I have ADSL. I use to have a usb modem. 5 mins later after installing it, and putting filters on my phone line it was up and running. Now I use a router with the modem built in and a firewall which took about 20 mins to set up.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

So do you guys know how I would check to see if I have an 'ethernet' plug in? I do have Windows XP....is this a problem?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 09:46 AM

Look on the back of your computer. It should be labeled ethernet, but basically it looks like a telephone plug, only larger. If you have that plug-in, all you will need to do is connect your wires. If not, it really isn't a problem, as they do send an ethernet card along with instructions on how to install it with all the other installation stuff. I've heard (and Richo also said) it's not really difficult to install. If your computer is newer, it probably already has it. (So it's not that important, just makes it one step easier to install the DSL.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page