My mom is thinking about getting my brother a guinea pig.... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
My mom is thinking about getting my brother a guinea pig....

Hey, can you give me any advice on getting a guinea pig? My brother's hamster died and my mom is thinking about getting my brother a guinea pig. I don't know a thing about guinea pigs. My cousin bought my 3 year old secon cousin a guinea pig & my aunt said that it bit my other 3 year old second cousin. Now, any information would be greatly appreciated. I know that this is a cat forum but this is the lounge for non-cat topics so I thought to post here. Thanks. Catlover_2004.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I had two guinea pigs. They were alright pets...I got mine from someone who couldn't keep them anymore, so they were a bit older, and already set in their ways (although I don't know how much you can change a guinea pig's "ways" lol) They get smelly, unless you change the cage OFTEN (it's important). And both of mine had serious health problems in their old age, but I think guinea pigs aren't bad Mine never bit anyone unless they deserved it. They did poop on us though, luckily those little pellet poops are easily cleaned up!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:54 PM
Premier Cat

I have 9 guinea pigs.
Working in a pet shop for the last 2 years ive handled a lot of them too, and only been bitten by one. They are lovely and even better if you can keep them indoors around you as they become even friendlier. They make all sorts of noises, will jump up for a treat, love strokes down the nose. In respect to an animal such as a rabbit they dont smell no where near as bad. Thier pee isnt too bad, it doesnt have the amonia smell rabbit/human/cat pee does.
Guinea pigs are prone to mites/mange. Mites live on them naturally and if they are excesivly stressed out they will bevelop mites, which ideally needs vetenary treatment.
Like humans they dont make thier own vitaminC. Guineapig food does have extra vitC in it, but it soon looses its goodness so make sure its diet is suplimented with high in vitC food. Its nearly imposible to over dose on vitC but easy to underdo it.

I know quite a bit about guinea pigs if ya have any questions just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
I think a big thing to remember about guinea pigs is that they are big. They are a lot bigger than hamsters and so need larger cages. A lot of people stick them in a 10 gallon aquarium with cedar shavings and call it good, but they can be very active creatures (plus shavings aren't good for rodents). I'll never own another, personally - ours were previously elementary science room "pets" that were very unsocialized, and rather traumatized (kids poke)... plus I'm very focused on getting a pair of rats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I had hamsters when I was younger, but no guinnea pigs. We have two at work that have been boarding with us (along with 4 rabbits!) for almost three weeks now. They're a mess and kinda spazzy, but fun. I LOVE the noises they make!! I honestly never knew they made so much noise!! Everyone laughs because I call them the little UFOs because it sounds kinda space ship like. Really cute.

Anyone can come in and be in a bad mood and can't keep a straight face when they start "talking" to each other. Its the best!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Banned

I've had 4 guinea pigs.

My first, Gus, lived free in my house (thats when I only had Finn!) and was a great house pet, litter trained and everything.
When Gus died (at the age of 9, remember they are a big commitment!) I got 2 babies who were brought into work with abcesses from being bullied at the pet shop. I called them Chalk & Cheese. Unfortunately, Chalk got a really bad infection, developed a head tilt and died 10 days later. With Cheese being so young and used to being one of a twosome, I went and got another baby as a new 'sister for her. This one I called Pickle.
When I moved into my current house, they basically got stuck in the spare room and I don't have a garden. My friend who lives nearby has a huge lush garden and nothing to put in it, and a couple of her own guinea girlies. So, at the age of two, Cheese & Pickle were 'retired' to the 'sanctuary', where they live in my friends bedroom in an enormous cage (I'm talking wardrobe sized!), and spend sunny days out on the grass with their new friends. They are far happier.

So, heres my recommendations for anyone thinking of getting a guinea pig...

1/ Get two. They are very social creatures and crave company. Just make sure they are the same sex!
2/ Go out and buy yourself a book about Guinea Pigs, and memorise it cover to cover before getting them! They are not rodents, they are fairly demanding pets.
3/ Housing. Don't get one of those guinea pig cages from the pet shop, they need something far bigger. As big as possible, at the very least a cage a rabbit would be comfortable in.
Ands it can't just be filled with sawdust. They need a 'hide' and stimulation to avoid boredom and obesity.
4/ Feeding. You can't just expect them to live off a staple diet of guinea pig pellets. They should have daily greens and if possible, regular opportunity to graze.
5/ Get a secure run so they can go out into the garden to graze grass. It must have a lid to prevent cats getting into them, be heavy enough to prevent it lifting up, and have shelters such as boxes and things to protect them from the elements.

Thats all I can think of for the moment!
Good Luck!

Ems x
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Cat

I have 3 piggies and I gotta tell you, they are a lot of work. They are absolutely wonderful pets, better than hamsters. They've never bitten me, but that's because I handle them a lot. They require a big cage as they do like to run around, and daily socialization as they are very social animals. If they get sick, expect to have a good vet that specializes in exotics.
There are some good gp forums out there where you can find more helpful info. One is www.piggiepals.com
Feel free to drop me a line if you have more questions.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Cat

sry i dont know anything about guinea pigs! Search on google

http://www.google.com[/list]

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
3/ Housing. Don't get one of those guinea pig cages from the pet shop, they need something far bigger. As big as possible, at the very least a cage a rabbit would be comfortable in.
I think that's good advice to keep in mind for most small animals, actually. Do not get something marketed for those animals. Get something marketed for something bigger. Because the companies are all about what you "can" keep them in as opposed to what you should keep them in.

So if you have a pair of rats or guinea pigs, don't get them a rat/guinea pig cage, get them at least a rabbit cage, if not something larger. Same used to be true with ferrets, but now they're selling amazing, multi-level ferret homes... which might also be good for something the size of a rat/guinea pig/chincilla.

I have this cage in storage for when I get my pair of rats. We bought it for the Holland Lop rabbit we rescued from its life as a classroom pet, where it was living in a much smaller "rabbit cage."

I would also never, ever buy anything marketed for a betta, because they're all too small for any kind of fish to live in. The only exception is the MiniBow 2.5 which is marketed for several fish, including bettas, but they include a betta divider so you can keep two in there. I think they're nice homes for a solo betta. If you don't want to put them in a tank, I'd suggest getting a betta something marketed for a goldfish (giant fish bowls, 2-3 gallon tanks) - because anything marketed for a goldfish isn't big enough for a goldfish, which really should be in large tanks.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thanks everyone. Emma_pen I will print out your reply & hnd it to my mom. Infact, I will print out the whole thread so my mom can see it. Thanks. My mom needs to see all of this about guinea pigs so she knows about them. Don't guinea pigs & rabbits get along? Thanks. Catlover.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page