Giving blood - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Giving blood

Well, I went and did my thing and gave blood again today... And I managed to get my boyfriend to give blood for the first time too

He was fine with the interview, lil tests etc... til we got seperated for the actuall "blood" bit

I could see him from where I was sitting and he looked a bit nervous but the nurse kept talking to me so I wasn't watching the whole time... The needle going in seemed ok so I carried on chatting...

Next time I look over.... He's almost tilted upside down in the chair with his legs up The nurse sees and tells me he probably just went a bit pale...

OK, fair enough. I finish and she tells me I MUST go get a drink before I go see the upside-down pale one. So off I go and have to walk past him in process.....

He was SOOO white the colour had gone from his lips EVERYTHING! For want of a better description he looked like a corpse!

He's fine now and was ok when I went back to him... OF course he is totally playing on it now so I have to run round after him all day long... and he has requested a chinese take out for dinner

Men eh? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Re: Giving blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylansMummy
Men eh? lol
Oh yeah, they're just sooooo tough What would we ever do without them?

I've never given blood. I sold plasma once... it took forever. I really have no problems with giving blood, I'm not afraid of needles and I can deal with the whole process... its just something I've never had the urge to do. I'd like to do it some day though... so I can finally feel like I'm doing something unselfish to help others.

Was he so pale and wimpy after giving blood or before? I mean was it like a fear of needles things or was it just from giving the blood? Either way... WIMP hehe...

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
I've donated blood a few times... and I donated platelets once too. My problem is not the actual donation, but the insertion of the needles because I, unfortunately, I inheireted my grandmother's annoying veins, and they always seem to have so much trouble with me. It's like, I have to have one, I'm alive aren't I??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Cat Addict

I have never given blood, because I never qualified before and now I'm just scared to. =o/

I once dated a guy that fainted when he got his boosters before college (tuberculosis test, basic boosters, and I think he might have gotten his tetnus updated too). I tried not to laugh at the time but I sure do giggle now!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Cool Cat

I could never do it. I get light headed and queasy when a blood sample is drawn at the doctor's office.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
i gave blood once...i'd like to do it more, but i'm a complete wimp. I got up the courage to go once more, but my iron levels were too low and they couldn't take any! *phew* i HATE needles. The only reason i gave blood was because it helps so many people... i just...ick i can't think about it.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to jonsgirl
I do it regularly. I dont mind the needles, the only thing is that you can't really see my veins well because of my skin color, and once I ended up with the dreaded bruise that covers your whole arm! My friends were asking me if my bf did that to me the next day at work. lol.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Cool Cat

i've done it once, but now it seems like i never qualify because of some new tattoo or something. you're supposed to wait a year to donate after getting tattooed. a good friend of mine has now donated over a gallon of blood. i'm proud of her.

-faile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artistry by ForJazz
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Premier Cat

I used to donate blood all the time, I have donated about two gallons in my life. It has been difficult lately because the collections times are during the day, while I am at work.
Just a note to anyone interested in donating, make sure you eat well and drink plenty of fluids for a couple days before your appointment. It makes a huge difference in how you feel after you donate. The one and only time I had trouble I hadn't eaten much before I went. I didn't faint, but I came close.
It such a wonderful thing to do, it saves a life!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to violina23
my company's doing a blood drive next tuesday, so I signed up. Hopefully they have someone who's good with a needle so it doesn't take like a half hour (which happened to me once! It took that long to fill the bag because they couldn't get a very good vein!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page