Helped rescue a dog tonight - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Helped rescue a dog tonight

My BF and I were on our way home from the shelter tonight. We were on the freeway and there was a dog running on the shoulder. Another woman and an ambulance had stopped already and were trying to coax the dog away from traffic. We got out to try and help. Then three other cars also stopped! I must admit I was suprised that so many people stopped to try and help this dog. Shortly after (2) two Sheriff deputy cars pulled up and blocked some of the traffic.

We were trying to find some kind of rope or something to put around her. One of the people who stopped found a fabric strap which worked perfectly. The poor dog was terrified....I would be too! Eventually we got the strap on the dog We coaxed her up to the front car (the first woman who stopped) My BF helped her to coax the dog into her truck. We didn't want to try and pick her up and scare her more or have her bite someone out of fear. Eventually she got into the truck.

It was kind of nerve racking being on the freeway. First the fear that she would run into traffic. Then once she was "leashed" the fear that someone would hit one of us or one of the cars....sending them into us. Ecspecially because people do NOT know how to drive around here!!! Not to mention once she was "leashed" the deputies both left, the ambulance had already left when they got there. Leaving (3) three guys and the truck they were in, next my civic and then the truck of the original woman who stopped.

She was going to try and find a no kill shelter and my BF is looking into a shelter or a rescue for her. The dog appeared to be a full pit bull (red nose). Her temperment must be great, judging from her behavior on the freeway that is.

Of course my BF wants to find a way to adopt her

We went to the pet store tonight to get a couple of things for my turtle. We picked up a muzzle, a leash and food (for coaxing). Now if we are in a situation like this again we have everything we need to rescue a dog a little easier. We put everything in the trunk of my car (which we most frequently drive). We are going to buy the same things for my BF's car too.

I have to say again how suprised I was by how many people actually stopped!

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:19 AM

Somebody posted this same story on Pit Bull Forum (probably your BF). I think it's wonderful that you stopped and helped this dog. I bet she is beautiful.

Are you guys going to adopt her? Please keep me posted.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Good for you! I hope you can keep updated with her progress. Do you know if she has been scanned for a chip, whilst you are looking for shelters? She is likely to be immensey missed, especially as she's so sweet. Was she not wearing a collar or anything?

I always have a spare slip-lead and muzzle around in case I run into anything like that.

Ems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 12:33 PM
MA
Senior Cat

That is wonderful and heart warming to hear of other compassionate people. That is a great idea to have those things in the car for rescues.

BOKAHA
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
Aww, I hope she finds her people, or new people soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page