Abandon dogs turn to cannibalism*update* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Abandon dogs turn to cannibalism*update*

This is a horrible story of abandon animal abuse, but this time the people didn't get away. They left 20 dogs behind after moving out of a mobil home in a fairly isolated area in the high desert. These dogs were left on the fenced in property to fend for themselves. Nobody even bothered to leave the water running for them. They became so hungry that they resorted to cannibalism.
It was a neighbor, who lived about a quarter of a mile away, that went to see if anyone was taking care of the dogs that discovered their condition. They said, after hearing these poor animals howling and carrying on for over a week, they started hearing alot of fighting. They knew the people had moved so they went over to see what was going on and if they had any food.
What they discovered was deplorable and unbelievably sad. Not only were these dogs starving and killing each other for food, but antisociable and so unaproachable that the people could not even get to a faucet to supply them with a water source. Some were chained up, others were running loose, but not one was freindly. All the dogs were skin and bones and had not been cared for or fed properly for quite some time, if even ever.
Out of 19 dogs, one has since died, only one has been found to be adoptable. The dogs are put through a 'life-or-death' test in order to see if they can be placed in shelters and/or possible adoption. Ten dogs passed, nine failed. Out of the 10, one has been found to be adoptable but will be plassed in a shelter for a while to recover and get healthy before being adopted out. Eight of the 10 dogs have been placed in another shelter for rehabilitation and the last one will be considered in another shelter. Out of the 9 that did not pass, 5 were put down today and the other 4 will be put through a 'safer' test in hopes to save their lives.
As far as the owners go, well, they have been found. No charges have been filed as of yet. But, after this story's been told, they might be better off in jail. The county will be presenting pictures to the DA's office in a couple of days. It will be up to the DA's office if criminal charges will be filed.
The week and a half these dogs have spent in the county shelter has not been enough to hide their protruding ribs or pull their tails out from a permanent tuck under their bellies. And this is a quote from the paper that one of the animal control officers said, "I can tell you that all of my officers that were out there that day said it was nasty and deplorable...but they'd seen worse"

What could be worse!? I can't imagine and don't want to know!!

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

This is very sad, and makes me sick. There was a case over here where a woman locked her two starving dogs in a bedroom, the smaller one lived the longest but only by eating its larger friend once she had starved to death. The woman only got a ban from keeping animals, which is never properly enforced. I think punishments should fit the crime, and animals shouldn't be seen as so much less serious that humans.

At least the dogs who were PTS are at peace now. Those who are going to suffer test after test will probably never find a home anyway, and end up going the same way. I wish the human race was not so cruel and heartless at times, and I hope all these poor animals can find their peace in some way or another in the short future.

Ems
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Cat Addict

I hope they press charges against the owners. Sometimes an eye-for-an-eye punishment doesn't sound too bad -- maybe force them to resort to cannibalism. Sometimes people make me sick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Banned

I watch "Animal Cops" and "Animal Precinct" on Animal Planet quite a bit, and it would do people like this a lot of good to know they can actually get real JAIL TIME for animal cruelty.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Cat Addict

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like jail time happens near enough for these abusers -- another form of punishment would be forcing them to do community service at the humane society/animal control and see how often this abuse actually occurs and to what degree.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Superkitties Send a message via MSN to Superkitties
OMG, what a wretched sick report. What is wrong with those F*&%^& people?!? I was so enraged after reading this I couldn't see straight.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to SammyO
Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
I watch "Animal Cops" and "Animal Precinct" on Animal Planet quite a bit, and it would do people like this a lot of good to know they can actually get real JAIL TIME for animal cruelty.
Tim - I was just watching both of those programs last night. My husband and I were commenting on how Canada should step up and put better enforcement in place like they have in the US. Some enforcement is better then nothing. We are too laxed in this county when it comes to certain issues. I don't understand how any country can have such a loose policy about having no animals for 2 years. How about NEVER again?? Sounds more fitting to me.

I think the thing that appalls me so much is the fact that the people show no remorse or have no idea what they did was wrong.

As for those poor dogs...why can't those [email protected]%! people at least keep the fence open so they can fend for themselves...how terrible.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Only six dogs remain out of the 20 that were found. There was seven but because malnutrition wouldn't alow a bite wound (that it recieved during the killing attacks) to heal and it died from infection. Now, the DA is saying they don't know where the abusers went and can't find them.
Yea, right! It's not something this town's DA feel's is important enough to launch a full and thourough investigation. A cruelty caseworker for the national animal protection group, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, had to write to the distic attorny's office and ask that charges be pressed. The response was there isn't much can be done Only that when the case is presented by animal control [quote]we'll review it and determine what charges should be filed, if any.[quote]
Some things have changed a bit where animal control is concerned. There has been alot of animal rights issues come up this last year. They used to seperate strays that came in without collars from those that had collars. The public was not allowed to go back where the uncollered animals were (cats included). After a couple days those animals were put down and that ment, for people missing their pets, that they might never know what happened. The shelter got busted for putting animals to sleep before legally possible because of overcrowding. Since then, things have changed...some.

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page