What's left of the ice storm that hit the midwest - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What's left of the ice storm that hit the midwest

I know they're not the BEST pictures, but you can see how the branches are just coated with ice.

Many trees have lost branches to the weight and there are still many homes without power at this date.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Cat Addict

Kansas has been hit pretty hard. Most kids are going back to school today for the first time since before Christmas break.

Wednesday morning it was horrible in my town. We had about 2 inches of ice, sleet, and snow. When I walked outside to my car, my feet didn't make any imprints whatsoever. For the first time ever, my boss closed our office. It was just too dangerous to be out. Thankfully, we got a couple inches of snow later that day, which helps with traction.

Tens of thousands of people are still without power in Wichita. Last night on the news, they said about 44,000 still without. There are crews from several states working to help out Kansas.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Whoa! I can imagine the weather that caused all that was pretty scary.... but the trees look so pretty and sparkly

I thought Scotland had bad weather... at half 11 last night scaffolding was being put up on building opposite because the high winds were causing chimney to fall down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, you guys got a lot of ice, but not much snow.
We got a good 9 inches plus in Chicago.
The roads still are not plowed in alot of areas and people are getting stuck everywhere!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Cool Cat

<putting on "old codger" voice>

I remember back in the '98 Ice storm, we had ice four inches thick on the trees. My husband and I just sat on the porch and watched power transformers blow up down by the river. It was truly amazing stuff, until the old maple in front of the house, about 70 feet tall, came crashing down and sheared the power supply off the side of the house. It took the crews over two weeks to get us hooked back up (good thing we were ready for long periods of no power!). One of our then-tenants (we were managing my in-laws' apartments) had a teenage daughter, and we were trying to explain to her how to flush the toilet with a bucket of water, and she just got this horrified look on her face and said "Uh, I don't THINK so...I'll just hold it!"

I knew it was bad when we couldn't even get the fire trucks out of the station to go to a call...my husband and I were on our knees with a hammer and chisel trying to break the doors free because they'd frozen shut under inches and inches of ice.

We got mostly snow out of this particular storm, not much, maybe 6 inches or so, but nothing major at all. Be careful driving and walking under trees and power lines until that ice melts off (speaking from experience, I got clobbered and pinned by a big tree limb that broke free in an ice storm a couple of years ago, and for a while, I thought I was done for...luckily, my husband came looking for me!)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddFran
Wow, you guys got a lot of ice, but not much snow.
We got a good 9 inches plus in Chicago.
The roads still are not plowed in alot of areas and people are getting stuck everywhere!
I can imagine. My parents are back in Gary, IN. I think they got the same weather as we did down here (West Lafayette, IN) and were at the top of the ice line. Chicago was definitely above the freezing rain line. I think I'd rather have the snow. At least then it wouldn't have taken 20 minutes to clear off my windows the other morning.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismodliz
Kansas has been hit pretty hard. Most kids are going back to school today for the first time since before Christmas break.

Wednesday morning it was horrible in my town. We had about 2 inches of ice, sleet, and snow. When I walked outside to my car, my feet didn't make any imprints whatsoever. For the first time ever, my boss closed our office. It was just too dangerous to be out. Thankfully, we got a couple inches of snow later that day, which helps with traction.

Tens of thousands of people are still without power in Wichita. Last night on the news, they said about 44,000 still without. There are crews from several states working to help out Kansas.
We have several people without power in Indiana as well. I don't have the statistics, but I think it's safe to say that many states got hit hard with this.

One of the hotels in the area is offering people who lost their power 50% off rooms until Sunday. I hope that poeple without power everywhere don't have to wait too long until it's back up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
One of the hotels in the area is offering people who lost their power 50% off rooms until Sunday. I hope that poeple without power everywhere don't have to wait too long until it's back up.
That's really nice of them. It's great to see everyone helping each other, especially when businesses like hotels could take complete advantage of people in a bad situation.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

I agree. With the exception of the slower than usual traffic and the unplowed roads, I would rather have the snow.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned

ya, ice is the worst, I'd rather have snow. and it's cold enough here that that's what we usually get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page