I love this job! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I love this job!

So today was my first day at my new job, everyone was sooo nice and it felt like i'd been there forever they were so welcoming. A client broke down in the waiting room when she was told her dog had cancer, and everyone came out to offer their condolences, the vet said he would only charge her at cost for the medical work that needed to be done since she was in the middle of a bankruptcy and her husband was in the hospital.

Then a woman called saying she wanted to put her cat to sleep because she didn't want it anymore. One of the vets convinced her to let us rehome the cat and went right out and picked the cat up...the most gorgeous seal point himalayan ive ever seen!!! The woman didn't want him anymore because "She was tired of caring for him" Wench. Anyways the vet took the cat home and will be bringing him in tomorrow for a full run of tests to see if its healthy, if it is were gonna adopt her out. It's sooo tempting...he's like a longhaired version of my Sam.

We also have a mascot, a little Pug puppy who is as sweet as can be, apparently he needed some medicine for a kidney infection and his owners surrendered him because they didn't want to pay for it. The vets office does all the local Humane Society's surgery work for them for free, and they have a fund set up for special cases where animals need major care but thier owners cant afford it. They also care for the local Petco's animals. LOOOOVE this place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
This is so great, Payge! Isn't it wonderful how things work together for the best?---even if we don't understand it while it's happening? What a great group you are with.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

I'm so happy for you. Oh, and very envious. That's a dream job for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Addfran: It wasnt easy, before I started at the other place i'd been out of work for over a year with 0 college, a GED, and no real work experience to speak of. I got REALLY lucky with this place, they said I interviewed so well they were willing to train me for the position of Vets Assistant. I can only assume that it would be much easier if someone had anything above what I have job/schoolwise. Perserverance is the key, I had pretty much lost all hope but kept at it anyways and now i'm at a great job with great people doing what I WANT to do. I cannot express how great and fulfilling that feels.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:06 AM
MA
Senior Cat

Hey Payge! Glad to hear from you and your new job situation. It makes a world of difference when you are surrounded by great co-workers.

BOKAHA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Cat Addict

Congratulations! What a rewarding job!

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Premier Cat

O O O O O .....
I love places that have mascot dogs in their place of business!
There is a Boxer names Cassius at the junkyard we go to!
I always bring him treats! I LOVE HIM!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope "yon Cassius" doesn't have" a lean and hungry look"! Well, at least his name isn't Bad, Bad Leroy Brown! Boy, am I giving my age away, but I love that song, even though I'm a classical musician! It's fun.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm so happy you love your new job. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I worked for the same place for 4 1/2 years, then up and quit when I couldn't take it anymore.

I got hired at a vet working in the kennel and training for a vet assistant and I love every minute of it (ok...ignoring my post about how fed up I was with all our strays... it was a bad day, lol).

It sounds like you've found quite a place. Kind and caring people all around, I'm sure you'll love it every day

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

4 days in and all is well. I'm VERY tired at the end of the day but its the 'I worked hard and did a good job" type of tired so its not bad. The woman who is in the middle of a bankruptcy came back today, her dog could no longer walk. We ended up having to Euthanize her and the Vet decided out of the kindness of her heart to cover the cost of a private burial. The woman wanted an autopsy done to see how badly the problem had spread. I was able to observe it and i'm proud to say I didn't get sick or anything, poor doggy, she had advanced lymphoma(sp?), it had spread to her spine even.

One of the other girls working there has adopted the cat that was rescued from the cruel woman, she has renamed him Simon. Another vet tech brought in her 1 1/2 week old puppies (she breeds daschunds(sp?) they were soooo cute!!!

So far i've learned filing(knew that so it was easy to pick up) checking people out, filling prescriptions, servicing the anesthesia machines, making spay packs, making small packs, proper restraining techniques, vaccination schedules, what the major viruses/diseases/parasites are and what they do and how they can be treated and prevented, how to prepare immunization shots, how to catherize dogs and cats, a LOT of animal dentistry (one of the vets is specialized in animal dentistry, its all he does) and sooo much more. I'm really excited to be here, I don't regret making the change to this new place one bit.

Today we got new computer pads, they are sort of like laptops but you can take the flatscreen monitor off and use it as a tablet, you can even go on the internet while walking around, access charts and everything, waaay cool. I had an awesome discussion with Dr. Jones about pet nutrition, she totally agrees about wet food being better for cats. I like her the best, in everything she does its obvious she loves her job and loves animals.

In all theres a lot of cleaning and busywork, but its all well worth it because i'm learning so much so fast and at the end of the day I can smile and know I did a good job working with good people. Its not like i'm the only one doing the cleaning and restocking and servicing of machines and such, everyone from the receptionists to the Vets pitches in wherever its needed whenever its needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page