Rip offs ( College Books) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Rip offs ( College Books)

I just went to buy my books for my two classes.
For my drafting class $104 plus a $45 drafting Kit
For my Math class $120 for a tiny paperback book.

I went online and ordered the drafting supplies for $30 and they have the book at Amazon for $68.

the math book is available used for $30 bucks!

I won't get my next paycheck for the next three weeks and I'll need gas money to go from work to school every night. If I paid they're prices I wouldn't have money for gas and wouldn't be able to go to school or work.

I just think the prices they try an force students to pay is ridiculous.

the only downside is that the school book comes with a 180 dayCAD program for your computer. But it's not required to have that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
oooh my gosh I know exactly what you mean!
Last semester I took business marketing and I spent over $800 on books (which sucks because I hated that course), so my school was having a 'buy book back' thing and they wanted $8.75 a text book I was like ooo my GOD NO WAY! ... thats crazy thats not even 10 bucks! ... its compleatly not fair because they turn around and sell it AGAIN for 80% of the orignal price- which for alot of them is about $100. I thought at least I'd be able to get $300 for all my marketing books- this way pay off this semesters supplies but Yah not even CLOSE... I think im going to resell on my own... i mean their in perfect condition, I just want at least 300-350.. gesh is that so much to ask
(yah college is driving me crazy LOL )

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Cool Cat

My art history book was 93.50 at the bookstore... it was 70 dollars on the inside cover! And it is like... 60 dollars used online.

Needless to say... I'm taking it back tomorrow!

I feel for you!

Aimee aka "Kitty"
"Not all who wander are lost." -Tolkien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Carina
I'm right there with ya'll....just went and got my books for this semester yesterday...needless to say now I'm broke!! I keep telling my hubby we should go into the textbook business....they make a killing!

=^-^= Owned by Mojo and Jinx =^-^=
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Cool Cat

i just forked over $250 for two classes, and all the books are paperback. i think the mob runs the textbook business.

-faile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

artistry by ForJazz
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Cat Addict

I spent over 3000 pounds on my books over the 3 year politics degree I took in the UK! They bought some of them back, but I got a better tax receipt for them by giving them to the school library!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
thankfully i didn't have to buy any new books for this semester! I spent nearly $1000 total on my books this year though. I agree it is a COMPLETE rip off. I wanted to sell some of my books back (I dropped a class in the beginning of the year) It was about $180 worth of books, and guess what? THE PROF ISN'T USING THEM NEXT YEAR!!! So they're worth about $20 total at the bookstore, and I can't sell them privatley! The same thing is going to happen with my Psychology of Learning, which was a $100 text And when I sold last years books this year, (privatley) I only made about $150. It's a joke.

<--Julia

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Premier Cat

It's a monopoly b/c you need these books and you have to buy them. Books are sooo expensive, it's a ripoff and it's sad b/c alot of college students don't have much money either
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Cool Cat

My best advise to ANY college student is to shop around for the best book prices. Get your book lists for each class (available from your prof. or the bookstore's website) at least 2 weeks before the new semester starts and compare prices between half.com (a daughter of ebay), amazon.com, and the school bookstore. Most of the time, I find 1/2 the better deal at half.com and 1/2 at amazon.com. And buying from the bookstore sometimes works out best considering shipping. Don't be a slave to the bookstore. Be a good shopper and compare prices. I usually pay HALF of what I would have paid had I bought all my books from the bookstore. There are a lot of other sites that help you find inexpensive textbooks and other course books. Also check out ecampus.com. It takes some work to find the best prices, but it's worth it on your wallet in the end!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Cool Cat

i bought mine off amazon one semester several weeks before class started, and it took way to long to get them. plus, now the stop telling you what books you need until a week before class starts so you don't have time to get them shipped. bastards. *shakes fist*

-faile

artistry by ForJazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page