Goldfish Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Goldfish Question

Hey, my mom would like to know how often you change a goldfish's tank and what kind of parasites, deaiseses that they carry (if they carry anything). I told my mom that they probably don't carry anything. She justs wants to make sure

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:27 PM
Cat Addict

It depends on the size of the tank. As a general rule, goldfish are very dirty, so you'll need to change it fairly often. Not all at once, of course, but maybe 25% every week or so. There are a whole host of diseases and parasites fish can carry, but most are not communicable to humans. Just be sure to wash your hands whenever you get done doing your tank maintenance.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

hey, catlover, stick with cats!! I've had fish, and they're a whole lot more work than people think. buy 'em and throw 'em in the tank and feed 'em? no way!! plus they sure don't snuggle in your lap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
As said, goldfish are messy. Because of how dirty they are, and their ability to grow quite large, it is suggested that each goldfish have at least 10 gallons. Not many people hold to that though, and lots keep goldfish in fishbowls. It's not really their fault, because the stores tell you it's perfectly okay (and they tell you it's okay to keep betta fish in cups, so ).

If you're looking for something smaller, tankwise, then I would suggest a betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) in a smaller tank or a large bowl (2+ gallons). They're not as dirty, and they can easily live in a clean bowl because they breathe from the surface. You'll still need to do weekly water changes to keep your fish clean and healthy.

Fish can get diseases, but those almost always come from being in dirty water, so keeping a pet fish clean is the best way to prevent diseases. I'd look at websites to decide what fish is best for you and how best to take care of them, and you can share those with your mom.

If I can make a suggestion, here is a nice article about goldfish keeping:
http://www.petfish.net/gold.htm and that whole website ( http://www.petfish.net ) has a lot of valuable information on just about every fish you can keep. http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ is also very informative and dedicated solely to goldfish care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
What are those fish called that are all orange with white stripes on them? What other fish types are there? My mom doesn't want me to get a betta fish tough. They are meaner than your avarage fish.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover_2004
My mom doesn't want me to get a betta fish tough. They are meaner than your avarage fish.
No, only when two males are together in the same tank. When there's only one, they're fine.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Cool Cat

Male betta fish just can't be tanked with other male betta fish. I think there are some other fish that it wouldn't be a good idea with. The orange fish with white stripes is a saltwater fish, which is not as easy to maintain as a freshwater fish. Plus it is most expensive to maintain! Unless you're truely down to earth with keeping a saltwater fish happy, I would suggest it.

My first betta fish was the best fish I ever had. My second one now I think is a bit mean because he chewed off my snails antenna's. That snail has been there longer than he has. Mean fish. I told him if he does it again, he's going and the snail stays

Emily
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Cat Addict

1. Bettas are only mean when kept together...they need to live alone.

2. Bettas are a fun fish to have. I have 4, each lives in his own 2 gallon tank. Mine are all between 3 and 4 years old, and they have great personalities! They really get to recognize you, and when I walk into the room, they get very excited and start swimming up to the edge of the tank and "dancing", showing off their beautiful fins. They ARE a bit lower maintenance than other fish, because they don't require as much space and are fairly hardy.

3. Stay away from goldfish, unless you have alot of space and alot of money!!! They are NOT good beginner fish. I started off with a few 25 cent teeny feeder fish in a 10 gallon tank.....which they outgrew in a matter of months. We are now on a 55 gallon and upgrading soon to a 100 gallon.....and they eat alot and go through replacement filters like crazy.....I love them, but they honestly cost us more to upkeep than any of our other pets....and we have a dog, 3cats, 4 hermit crabs, and another fish tank, w/tropical fish in it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Well, Ianthe I told my mom what you said about goldfish & bettas. I said "mom, instead of thinking about getting goldfish can you think about getting a betta?" and my mom said "I will think about it." so my mom is thinking about getting me a betta. Yay! I wish my betta ariel was still alive though. It was really painful when she died because I walked into my room and saw her on her side and she was still alive but dying. I was actually watching her die. I was really sad! I kept crying & crying! To this day, I am not thrilled about eating fish.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Cat Addict

That's great!!! Let me know if you need any tips or have any questions...no matter what kind of fish or aquarium you decide to get. I have alot of experience with fishkeeping, and I have kept everything from bettas to goldfish to many different species of tropical fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page