I'm LUVIN it :D ... graphic design - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
I'm LUVIN it :D ... graphic design

Well the first week of my graphic design classes were AWESOME .. I can sooo see myself doing it as a career, all my teachers have their own businesses too, and its amazing, they showed us their portfolios and wow, this is what a college experiance should be like... I M SOOO HAPPY IN COLLEGE NOW!
Hehehe other then using macs for the first time --- man their a WHOLE new language- but Im sure I'll get use to them really soon

YayY! college is fun again

The thing is now I need a job lol... i have fridays off so it would be nice to work friday, sat, and sundays, my dad is really presurring me into getting one and my mom is still saying school comes first ... maybe i can work something out

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
Glad you like graphic design. I love it too and been in the graphics business (not as a graphic designer the whole time) since 25 years. I never will grow bored with it!

Are you using modern Macs, or do you have to work in old Mac OS 9? Mac OS X is a very nice operating system, and should be nice to work with for graphic design. Try color calibrate your whole Windows system and you'll know what I'm talking about. Color calibration from input to output is so important in this business. You really need to see the same colors on your monitor as you'll see when you pick up a freshly printed broschure done in 4-6 colors. It's such a gratification to know that that the thing you hold in your hand, was created in your head and now you hold the finished product in your hand! And printers ink smells good... at least when you've done the originals yourself.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Hey, I can give you a job! You can clean my room every Friday & Saturday! LOL LOL!!!!

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Cool Cat

I tried Graphic Design my first time in college - I hated it. Not the graphics in general, mainly the teachers. One was new, completely new.. 3 weeks notice new. And she thought it was a brilliant idea to have introductions day 1, then a test day 2 WITH drawing homework? Needless to say, that wasn't the best of way to learn things. Then in my next class, expected to draw things in charcoal when I can't even draw with a pencil? Oookk. The actual 'computer' graphic class was pretty easy - but the teacher didn't know what he was talking about IMO.

I use a Mac full-time now, unless I'm playing games. It's pretty simple once you get used to it. Not really that much difference. If you want to own one, Apple *just* released the Apple Mini.. Which is TINY! And only $500! So it's cheap(for a mac) and compact. My fiance is thinking of getting one for his own web site server, since that's all he'd use it for.

Emily
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Cool Cat

Mmmm..... Mac mini. Yep, once I get this book out of my hands (beginning of march) I'll order one. *droooools*
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:41 PM
Cat

There's a reason you don't see "Windows" stickers on cars but there are lots of "apple" stickers. Mac is loved while Windows is merely tolerated.

Remember, Windows is a second-rate imitation of Mac, o they're almost identical in operation. . You gotta hand it to Microsoft though, they'll keep trying until they get something right. After fifteen years they've almost caught up with Apple.

I got my BA in Graphic Design back in 1998. Since then I've expanded into 3D animation and DVD authoring.

Before buying Illustrator, try out Macromedia Freehand. It does the same thing as Illustrator but more elegantly. Moving objects from one layer to another is a nightmare in Illustrator but takes one click in Freehand, for instance.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
And printers ink smells good... at least when you've done the originals yourself.
I take comfort in knowing I'm not the only one who thinks this... LOL

Congrats and welcome to design and the wonderful world of Macs! You'll love it here.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishkumen
Before buying Illustrator, try out Macromedia Freehand. It does the same thing as Illustrator but more elegantly. Moving objects from one layer to another is a nightmare in Illustrator but takes one click in Freehand, for instance.
Cool to find another Freehand buff! I've been using it since version 1 or something like that (been in the business too long) and even if I've gotten training in Illustrator, it's too much to keep in mind with Illustrator that I end up using Freehand instead. Freehand also makes things simple, you don't need different mouse pointers to be able to edit an anchor point, to fix the curve.

Freehand is freedom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page