New book on animal abuse out - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

New book on animal abuse out

There's a new book "One at a Time: A Week in an American Animal Shelter" that is being given to shelters across the country. It's based on the high numbers of animals that are euthinized in our country and why, and what we need to do to change that.
Dianna Leigh and co-author Marilee Geyer are launching a campain to fight animal neglect and abuse. By leaving a copie in shelters for not just people to look at, but city officials, also.
The book follows 75 animals through a shelter for one week. Part of the solution is to change the way city leaders and average people think about animals--to make them face the problem.

I live in one of the cities that is potrayed in the book as being the ninth neediest city in the country. I posted on the 20 dogs that had resorted to canniblism because they had been abandon. I'm almost glad that my city is being exsposed. Hopefully a better relationship with our animals will come out of it.

To have a copie donated to a local shelter log on to www.everynineseconds.org. Share a story about an animal that has touched your life and pick a shelter to dedicate a copy of the book to. 1000 are being dedicated. 3 to 4 million are being euthinized yearly...one every 9 sec.

It's easy to understand what cats want, just listen to what they say...MEeee NO
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In loving memory of Bugs, forever I will miss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'm really curious to see what all is in the book. It seems like it would be heartbreaking to read through, but the information really needs to be out there.

I'd love to get one for our vet's office, but figure it would either disappear really quickly, or would be too "upsetting" to keep out.

I'm tempted to buy one for myself, but have been trying to save money lately.

If anyone gets it or sees it anywhere, let me know a little more about it

edit to add:

I looked at the list of "adopted" shelters and was really surprised to see mine on there. The Greenville Humane Society in South Carolina... I NEVER see it on any lists. Well lets face it, you don't hear much about SC in anything We've had a lot of controversy over our HS lately. I've heard horrible stories about how they dogs are treated, how the euthanized animals are disposed of, and mostly about how the money is grossly misappropriated. I adopted Addison from this shelter, but couldn't volunteer there. I spent an hour walking the dogs and the conditions they were living in were horrible. I couldn't take it, so I never went back. I feel horrible about it now, but I really couldn't do it. The cats/kittens/puppies had much better conditions, but the dog runs were dirty, 2-3 dogs crammed in each run and it was deafening to walk down the hall, especially with a leash.

My heart goes out to each and every shelter animal and the volunteers and workers who care for them on a daily basis. You need far more recognition than you get.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page