anyone watching the dog show? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
anyone watching the dog show?

Tonight and tomorrow I'll be watching the Eukanuba dog show. Just wondered if anyone else will be glued to the tv and if you've got your favorites

Mine are definately the big dogs. Great Dane are first, Mastiffs, Newfoundlands, etc. I'm soooo excited to see that Neopolitan Mastiffs are making their debut in the tournament this year I also LOVE French Bulldogs and Boston Terriers.

I may even take part in some of the online voting for the breeds I'm partial to since its live this year.

Anyone else?

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
I'm watching and voting

Most of my favorites are in the Working group, but I'm definitely going to play favorites in the voting and vote for the Akita *drool*

I like big dogs, too. Big, hairy ones, really. Pyrenese, Leonberger, St. Bernards, Malamutes, etc. Yum. Also the bullies. The Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the AmStaff rock (though I prefer UKC shows with Pit Bulls)

I like the Neo, but I'm afraid being AKC recognized is going to screw with the breed. Plus I don't like the cropped ears. I think they look ridiculous on such a big dog... I'm anti-cropping in the first place, but I do think it looks decent on some breeds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

we had two Great Pyrenese boarding with us a while back. They were HUGE but still young enough to be puppies. We'd let them out in the yard together and they'd just leap over one another and hop all over the place so cute!

I love all the bulldogs too. In a way, I wish they'd put the pit bulls in this showing, because I'd like to see what a true pit bull looks like. I've seen so many "purebred" pits that all look so strikingly different from one another. A girl at work has two that she's breeding (although I really don't think she should be) but they're GORGEOUS and sweet as can be.

I had ear cropping and tail docking, though I"ll admit I think some dogs look better that way, I still don't think it should be done. We have a boxer breeder at work (cranky old man) and someone had mentione that they finally started to allow boxers with uncropped ears, and he was like "sure, they'll allow it but they'll never place that way". It saddens me sometimes that we breed dogs to look a certain way and STILL have to modify them to suit us better.

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsnobunnieO
I love all the bulldogs too. In a way, I wish they'd put the pit bulls in this showing, because I'd like to see what a true pit bull looks like. I've seen so many "purebred" pits that all look so strikingly different from one another.
Actually, the UKC Pit Bulls aren't that different from AKC Am Staffs; in fact, there are quite a few who are dual registered. The show dogs, be it Pit or AmStaff, are bulkier and bred for looks, whereas a "true" pit bull is bred for ability. "True" pits are actually smaller dogs and shouldn't weigh over 45 lbs or so. They're compact and muscular, but they're not bulky. Watch a few episodes of "The Little Rascals," and you'll see a true, gamebred* pit bull - Lucenay's Peter, aka Pete the Pup, aka Petey. This is my favorite picture of Petey, because his ears are up, and pittie ears are the best:

You're right about "purebred" pits looking nothing like each other. Today, they're being overbred and bred very poorly. They're being bred for bigger, bulkier size by a lot of people who want to make money off of them. You'll find hundreds of kennels that sell 100+ lb "purebred" pits, but mastiff was added into the lines somewhere, even if they don't show up on the papers (papers are easily faslified anyway), and even if the breeders of the "Monster Pits" deny it up the wazoo.

Go here ( http://www.workingpitbull.com/amstaffpit.htm ), and it tells a little about the differences in "purebreds." It's very informative, and it has a little "Test" with pictures of show dogs v. game* dogs, etc.

*Game is a controversial word. Pete was gamebred; he came directly from fighting lines (his sire, Tudor's Black Jack was a well-known pit fighter), but "gameness" just means a willingness and a determination to see something through the end, no matter what. Some people produce gamedogs in working lines; they're excellent in weight pulling competitions, and they're used as catch dogs and boar hunting dogs on some southern raches and farms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

See now I always thought the Little Rascals dog was an American Bulldog... but I could be thinking of the new movie (which I LOVE by the way ).

Jessie

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Senior Cat

I do believe the new Petey was an American Bulldog, like Chance in "Homeward Bound," but I haven't seen the movie (I'm actually a little P.O.ed that they used a different breed).

Some people will argue that Petey was not an APBT, both because he couldn't have been one of "those" dogs, and also because people might've described him as a "bulldog." But back then, pits were called "bulldogs," and they still are by many pit people. The fact is, though, that Lucenay's Peter was a purebred, registered American Pit Bull Terrier. When the AKC opened up the registry for the "new" breed, the (American) Staffordshire Terrier, Lucenay's Peter was also registered as an (Am)Staff, making him the first dual registered Pit Bull/(Am)Staff. (The "American" part wasn't added until later, when the AKC recognised the Staffordshire Bull Terrier from England.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page