AHHHH!!!!! This is exactly why I didn't want a dog! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

AHHHH!!!!! This is exactly why I didn't want a dog!

My puppy just tore up my sheets and mattress pad cover that I got for Christmas! The sheets were nice one too 300 thread count and the mattress pad cover is definitly nicer than one I would have bought. Not to mention it was probably more expensive than one I would have bought

I am so annoyed right now. He was sleeping on the bed. I went back to check on him an hour later and there is stuffing everywhere and he is sleeping on the floor.

One of the numerous reasons that cats are better than dogs!

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Tom Cat

No argument here. LOL My friend bought a dog and it literally destroyed his house. I think it was six months straight of chewing up anything it could. He finally got a muzzle for it. Then after a few days the dog got the muzzle off the counter and chewed through it along with his daughter's cell phone. His wife wants the dog gone, but he doesn't want to after getting it neutered. I told him it'll take about six months before the dog will be calm from the loss of testoterone. We'll see what happens.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Cat Addict

I feel your pain. We used to have a beagle puppy........it was h*** for the year we had him.....he literally destroyed the entire house. My mother was NOT pleased. He chewed everything in the house, and then began chewing on the house itself (doors, etc) After tat, I told myself I was never getting a puppy again...I think thats why I adopted Howie, he was 13 when we brought him home! Hey, he has never chewed on or ripped up anything!!

Good luck! Have you considered crate training him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

He is crate trained trained. He is in his crate when we are at work, but is out when we are home. I had him baby gated in the bedroom and dining room, which he usually does fine with.

I have to admit he is a very good puppy. He is 9 months old and rarely tears anything up. The occasional roll of toilet paper maybe. Every once in a while he will get into something, but it is rare. My moms dog is now 1yr 4 mos and still gets into everything. She is jealous because Boomer is always so good.

Since he is usually good it gives you a false sense of security Just when you think he is so good.....he is so bad!!!

Of course he couldn't have tore up something cheap either!

~Shelly~

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Of course he couldn't have tore up something cheap either!

Isn't that the truth!!! Bandit once chewed up my ENTIRE cheerleading uniform and bag.....total damage cost? Approx. $400.00
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to AmberD
One of the many reasons I'm going to rescue an adult dog instead of a puppy.

The main one is animal aggression problems, but the chewing was definitely factored in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Its good that he's crate trained, but when he's not in his crate you'll have to watch him like a hawk!

I've never done this (my dog was a puppy back when I was still a little kid) but I hear a really good idea is that whenever the dog is out of the crate, have them tied to you with a leash. Wherever you go, so goes the puppy. That way you're always watching and in a way it serves to strengthen your bond

Plus give him lots of his own toys to chew on and whenever you catch him even THINKING about chewing something, give him a toy to chew instead.

Have patience... he WILL grow out of it!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Cat Addict

Puppies are like babies - never let them out of your sight.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Premier Cat

altho I have to watch suki like a hawk she hasnt destroyed anything (yet)
She has loads of toys and knows what she isnt allowed to chew. She isnt allowed in the bedroom with out me, mainly because its a hideout for the cats from her. When im at work she goes in the bathroom where there is nothing she can destroy. 2 hours later I come home from lunch, let her out put her away again for 3 hours and then im home all day.

Im still sat on the fence over the cat and dog war, my cats have definatly ruined more than the puppy has so far...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

We used to watch him like a hawk when he was younger. He has been such a good puppy and hasn't got into too much, we have increased his freedom. Just when you think they are ready for more freedom they do something crazy!

~Shelly~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page