Is this really a crime?? What do you think? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Do you think tampering with the old washer and dryers that are set out on the curb for trash is a cr
Yes 0 0%
No 22 100.00%
I'm split both ways and will justify my answer below. 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Is this really a crime?? What do you think?

So my local news just had a story about something that they call a "crime." Apparently some student apartment complex's washing machines and dryers are being replaced with new ones. So the old ones are being placed out by the dumpsters (obviously needing disposed of by the city or whatever.) Well apparently someone has been going up to the old washers and dryers and taking them apart because they are looking for some spare change. And they are calling this a crime and are in search of the culprit. Do you think it's a crime?

IMO, I think once it's been thrown out, anyone is welcome to mess with it. (my favorite banana bike was put on the curb when i was younger and someone came and took that but we didn't call it a crime!) It'd be another story if the appliances were still in the complex and not yet been set out for trash. So I just don't think this should be targeted as a crime....could just be a poor person looking for some spare change. What do you all think. Please vote and post your comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Banned

Probably depends on local ordinances. Where I live, anything left out at the curb is specifically fair game. So it's not a crime according to local law. Maybe it should be:

Once I left my trash out overnight and in the morning, it was gone. Someone had taken (stolen is the word I used) my trash. Since that was before I shredded all my credit cards receipts, account statements and the like, I had to cancel one credit card account.

This is how people's identities can be stolen. Now I leave my trash out in the morning on pickup day. Fortunately, where I live now, they don't come by until about 9:30, so it's no problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It is not against the law in Pennsylvania to take trash. I shred anything with account numbers, etc. We have to be really careful about identity theft.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think that is considered "crime". I also make sure to shred anything with credit card numbers and account #'s on it.

At the house before my parents moved, I remember I would look out the window and see a old grandpa walking around the neighborhood taking trash. I have no idea where he lived, or why he did it. It was soooo weird.......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Jr. Cat

Here in my part of Texas, it's not against any laws to paw through or take garbage once it's been set out. We even have a name for the practice, and I find it mildly amusing. If you say to someone, "I went to a Mexican rummage/garage sale," it means that you went from house to house looking for thrown out goodies. It's not a term meant to offend anyone, it is just more common for the Latino people in my area to do this than anyone else. The people who do it tend to come by at night and pick up anything that looks usable or repairable, although sometimes we see them during the day.

It probably was some ill-fated person out on his luck that jacked with the old machines. What harm is there in looking for treasure in someone else's discarded belongings? I would think that the machines would have been throughly checked for anything useful prior to being thrown out, so again... what harm is there?

-mynee
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Sometimes, when I throw something out that still has some life in it, like an old computer, I want to put a sign on it that says FREE, so that someone will take it! Other times we just get tired of something, but don't know who might have a use for it.

I'll bet some collectors have found real treasures in the garbage cans, like old toys. They're worth a fortune!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page