I am getting a Angel fish! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
I am getting a Angel fish!

Jan. 19th, 2005

My mom said that I could get a fish but I had the choice of an Betta fish or Angel fish. So, I looked at some Angel fish pictures and decided I wanted and Angel fish. With proper care Angel fishes can live 10-12 years. I am sooooo excited. This time I am gonna get things set up. I promise once I get my Angel fish and she is in the tank I will post pictures. I am getting a Spongebob Square Pants tank that comes with a filter and stuff. It is going to be sooo cool. Your friend, excited catlover_2004.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
angel fish are VERY fragile. i would recomend doing a LOT of research and getting the tank set up and monitor all the specs (ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, salinity, PH, etc.) for at least a month to let the tank settle out so there arent any drastic changes. they need the water to be heated, too, i'm sure. i've never owned angel fish, however, but i've heard from others that they are extremely fragile.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Well, the tank came with a thermametor so petco has a care sheet with the tank temp so I will do that. I am looking for an angel fish forum. I am getting an angel fish though.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
http://www.awforum.net/angelfish/

they like soft water that is slightly acidic (PH of 6.5-6.9) and like live food. it said that for a pair, a 15 gallon tank was a minimum (you might really consider getting a pair, one might get lonely) but 29 gallons are better if you want to breed them. for 1, 10 gallons would be sufficient, i'm sure. they need filtered, heated, oxygenated water with live plants.

unless you've cared for tropical fish before, i'd really consiter getting a betta instead. you can find some really beautiful ones and they are MUCH easier to care for. stick 'em in a bowl of room temp water, feed them once a day, clean their bowl once a week, a live plant or two, they're happy.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Tom Cat

Yep...I keep angels and they are very fragile. Even a good fish keeper can have a hard time keeping them alive. what size tank are you getting? For a pair of angels you should have a 20 gallon high at the least.
here are some forums that might help you:

http://www.angelfish.net/yabbse/index.php

http://forums.aquariumhobbyist.com/forum.php?catid=17
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Cat Addict

They are very pretty fish, but they need to be kept in groups.....so you need to get more than one. They need alot of room...how many gallons is the tank you are getting?? I used to have angel fish, and they were in a 40 gallon high tank, and I think that was about the smallest size they would have tolerated....remember that that small little angelfish you buy will grow, and grow quickly.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Tom Cat

again, i strongly recomend the betta. i have mine in about a 1 gallon bowl. i do a full water change once a week, feed once a day (skipping one day a week to let their system clear out) with a couple live plants and a lid on the bowl (to keep the cat out and the water from evaporating) and he's perfectly happy.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:32 AM
Cat Addict

I'm not going to tell you what to get because I do not know anything about caring for angelfish (but I do love to look at them!)

Here is a fish forum that has a section about Cichlids. In addition, it has an beginner's area on setting up a tank the right way.

Bettas are fairly easy to care for, and if you have a tank... that's even better! There are different varieties to choose from if you are willing to look around.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted! I would love to see pictures of your Sponge Bob tank!

oh - and we use RO water for our fish tanks. It really makes a difference.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to Maleke
I have never had any luck with angelfish, and I have been keeping fish for about 10 years. They are just too sensitive for my liking, though they are pretty fish. Good luck with yours!

There really is nothing better than a weekend!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Cat

CONGRATS!
Did you get 1 yet?
Will you get a male female or both???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page