I must be crazy! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to CyberPet
I must be crazy!

OK, most of you know I love to photograph and that I'm also a bit of a wedding freak (ask Ianthe, she's gotten more than a handful of tips already about her wedding).

So....

A few months ago a couple emailed me and asked if I did weddings. They had seen my photographs on the Internet and thought I took good photos and wanted me to shoot their weddings.

Well...

I did answer them that I had never photographed a wedding as an assigment before and that I really didn't feel I was good enough. But if they were going to hire a professional photographer I was more than happy to be the "back up" and shoot some digital photo's of the event, for only the cost of the material and gas for the car.

I didn't hear a thing after that.

I started to think that they maybe got some sense in their minds and actually hired a professional photographer. At least I wasn't experienced enough and could very well ruin their wedding photos if I was given the assigment.

Well...

Apparently not. Yesterday they emailed me back and said "Yes, we want you to take our photo's even if it might not turn out to be very professional We think you are good enough!"

OK! So.... this was it, I had to say yes and no.

I SAID YES!!!!!!!!

I must be completely, utterly, insane. I must be mad, crazy and totally wound the wrong way. I mean, I'm not a professional photographer, I'm just an amatuer and I should not take assigments like this.

*gulp*

Anyway.... lucky for me, I have two friends who are professional photographers. Both of them are specialized in wedding photography. So, with both of them telling me I should take the assigment I thought that I might not fail too miserably.

I know fairly well what kind of pictures you need, I know fairly well how to handle my camera. So, hopefully I can also handle a nervous couple getting married. I mean, I've been one myself and I know what's waiting and that it's fully possible to survive your wedding day even if the vail blows away in the wind or the make up is smeared due to rain. You are getting married, that's for certain. And even if the minister goes missing, they will find a substitute. So....

Well, on July 9th I'm going to have my hands full with camera gear, a nervous bride and groom. And boy am I excited about it!!!!

Tell me I'm not completely mad, please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Premier Cat

Congratulations! You will do fantastic. You have an eye for great shots and obviously you have a wonderful camera. Go Girl. I know your professional photographer friends will coach you. I think you really dont need any help though.. your photos are soooo awesome
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 AM
Premier Cat

You're not nuts! I know you would do a great job, and I'm basing that off of all the photos I've seen on your website and of your cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
Go for it! I didn't have a professional at my wedding, a friend of my hubby who's hobby was photography....I have awesome pics and couldn't be happier with them. So if they want you to take them then have go for it! Congrats!

~bekki and daizy~

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thanks guys!!! It means a lot to get some positive input. Anything that boost my ego.

If you guys see some gorgeous wedding pictures, share them with me, so I can get some good ideas. I want something more than just standard "safe" pictures, but not too goofy either (not those silly ones with the guy lifting the brides skirt and stuff, those are too fake). But those who look natural, spontanious and fun, those I want to see.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Just do your best. You have to take opportunities when they jump into your lap. Who knows what this might lead to? Good luck!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Cool Cat

Petra, I have some from my wedding that I really like. I had a friend take some black and white photos that were more unposed. The professional photographer also took one of me with my two brothers kissing me on each cheek. Also a great one of my husband cupping my face with his hands and there is a stained glass window of Jesus in the background...I love it. Some I have on the computer but some I will have to scan if you want to see them...maybe this weekend!
Oh and I'm sure you will do a great job! I have seen your photos and they look great! One thing I would do is ask the couple beforehand if there are any certain "must have" shots. I know we had a list of ones we wanted.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Wow, Petra, that is great! You're photography is beautiful! Plus, here's something to think about - while professional photographers certainly know what they are doing, weddings are passe to them. You will have a fresh eye and perspective to offer, and might see some shots (having been through your own wedding) that a professional might not. Just my thoughts, sometimes, a fresh perspective in photography is a definate plus!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Aaaah... you guys are just great!

shlanon, yeah I've actually gotten a list from a wedding photographer with "must have" and I sure hope they won't check every box or it's going to be a very boring photo shoot. But it's great to have that list with me later, so I know what pictures they want and they can also plan the photo shoot themselves, like gather upp grandparents, siblings, etc. And also remeber to photograph their wedding bands, the bouquet, etc. Stuff that we actually forgot.

Black & white photo's are so nice and I will be converting some of the photo's I take into black and white. Shooting digital sure has it's advantages!

jessamicaB, you are too nice to say my photo's are beautiful. But you're right, I hopefully have a fresh eye that can make it very special for the couple. At least I know what pictures I miss, that was never taken for our wedding (hence the list I mention above).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page