My first ever car accident this morning - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

My first ever car accident this morning

I was on my to work this morning, on Interstate 89, and it was snowing, but the roads didn't look so bad and the car wasn't slipping - I was being cautious, though, and was moving along fine going less than the speed limit...

When the car started fish-tailing a bit, then more, then MORE, until I was very near to the right embankment, and quite sideways, facing the median. That was pretty much it. The car turned completely, and then slid down into the median and stopped quite solidly.

It's so strange the thoughts that go through your head while the accident is occuring. I was in complete disbelief that *I* would go off the road. I thought it would correct itself...even when I was sideways, I was thinking - "No. I'll get this baby under control!" and began thinking of all the ways I could attempt to correct for the sliding...

Then when it became obvious that I WAS going off, I started thinking I should relax - not tense up - and wondered what kind of impact I might experience...

The impact was MUCH more hard and loud than I thought it would be. But I was okay - just a bit of neck and shoulder ache now (several hours later). The airbag did not deploy, and all my windows were intact. The car was at quite an angle - I'd guess almost 45°, with the car down in the median facing the complete opposite direction I had been traveling in.

It didn't occur to me until much later how fortunate I was to have not hit anyone else.

Someone stopped and knocked on the window while I attempted to call 911 (which just rang and rang and...), and shortly after, the police showed up. I was - and to some extent, still am - pretty shaken by it.

Oh, and the extent of the damage to the car still remains to be seen - it LOOKS okay from the road, but I'm worried about the rear section that took the hardest hit. I should find out later how bad or not-so-bad it is.

How frightening though . I'm so thankful that I wasn't really hurt. It's totally scary to think of how it might have been to roll - or worse...and being so AWARE of everything that was happening, and having all happen so slowly. So fortunate...so fortunate...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Tom Cat

Yikes, glad to hear that it wasn't worse!

Elly May, critter mama to Mikko (Tux) and Jake (GS & Lab) Charlie now in forever home!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Cat Addict

Glad to hear you are ok. Even minor accidents can shake you up. I hope the damage to your car isn't severe.

Tina

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Cool Cat

It is weird how time seems to lengthen out and slow down when you're sideways, have been there too many times to count....it's nerve-wracking and kinda peaceful all at the same time. My abstract brain is always thinking "Oooh, this is pretty!" while my body is working the gas or brakes or shifting (depending what I'm driving) and trying valiantly to straighten out, and my logical brain is trying to pick the least scary-looking thing to hit.

You're lucky, though...there are parts of 89 where you definitely do NOT want to be sliding out of control <shudder>. Take it easy on that neck and shoulder, as well...you may find that you wake up very sore tomorrow, after you've had time to come down off the adrenaline rush and all the muscles have seized up. Make sure you have a hot water bottle or heating pad handy. Every time I've had hyperextension like that, it hasn't really hit me until the following morning.

Hope you're okay!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks all - I'm still feeling generally okay. Advil is very helpful - and yes, I have a good heating pad that I can use later. Everyone has told me that I will feel it more and more as the day goes on. Because I was a bit freaked out and nervous, I did stop in to see my doctor - who said everything was okay, and told me to call him if it gets worse.

Still no word on the car - they haven't actually looked at it last I heard, but did say it LOOKS drivable.

It is very strange to have such an unusual view of the side of the road - all that snow, so pretty - kinda made the slide into the ditch very soft. Well, until the very end, anyway. I'm really still surprised at just how slow things seemed - I felt like I had quite a lot of time to realize that I didn't have the foggiest idea of how to correct for a sliding car.

I keep thinking of my travel mug - before the crash half full of coffee - that I saw after the crash on it's side with the top missing, sitting on the passenger side arm rest facing back toward the back seats. Must be such a soggy coffee mess back there...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Tom Cat

Oh I can relate to this one. I commuted 30 min to work every day on the 3rd busiest highway in Canada (Hiway 2 for you Albertans out there...) through some "interesting" winter weather. The first time I hit the ditch, I not only spun into the median, but right through it and across another 3 lanes of traffic (5 lanes in total). My entire life flashed before my eyes - people die on that road doing just that... Funny thing is, the whole time I was spinning throuhg, not a car went by. Seconds later, it was busy again. I don't really believe in angels, but God was on my side and something was driving my car at that moment...

Of course, I had to get home, so I took a secondary highway since I couldn't take that one. I was so shook up that I ended up over copensating and in another ditch - the second time in my life. I wasn't so lucky there, my car was stuck, the bumper snapped in half ($600 damage) but after everything, I was still alive...

The ditch is no fun, is it

Chrystal

Compliments of ForJazz
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Cool Cat

eek! I have only ever been a passenger in car accidents...one fairly major for the car but just very sore neck for me, and the other minor for the car and sore chest from my seat belt for me.

Even being the passengar can shake a person up!! So I feel for you.

It was so good that you went to your doctor and I hope that you don't end up feeling too much worse than you already do. Not a very good start to the day!!

oh no soggy coffee car!! oh well, it is fixable!

I hope your car isn't too hurt and I am glad to hear that you are okay!
That is the most important part!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Cat Addict

I am SOOOO glad to hear you are OK. *HUGS*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Premier Cat

Wow that was scary! I'm glad to hear you are ok and even more glad that you went to the doctor already. Yes the pain does get worse as time goes by but just take care of yourself.

I remember when it iced/snowed in Austin one time, I had to go to work and at the exit I was supposed to take, I slid out almost but thankfully got back on track. It's a scary thing, going so sloooow and knowing you may or may not hit something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page