i got two strawberries! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
i got two strawberries!

i got two strawberry hermit crabs this evening. they are settling into their tank. the coolest thing is, the girl at the register only carged me for one! i didn't correct her because not only do they carge twice as much for the straws, but they take horrible care of them, and sad to say, but there's a high likely hood that one of mine will die within the next few months just because of the stress they were put under at the pet store not being cared for properly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Congratulations!

What pet store did they come from? I've seen the hermit crabs at PetCo's around here, and they're kept appalingly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to Celeste_Eden Send a message via MSN to Celeste_Eden Send a message via Yahoo to Celeste_Eden
i got them at petco. there are three petcos around here, one is actually really good. they even have humidifiers in the tank, but the other two are not so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BaileyAndSammi
I got my strawberry hermit crab at Petco and it died three weeks later. I was very sad since he was a Christmas present from my boyfriend.
But after reading what you said in the other thread I was apparently not giving him as good care as I should have. The pet store clerk didn't say they needed anything different from a regular hermit crab. We did keep him in a 10 gallon tank which was way bigger than what they were kept in at the store.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

Here is a picture of my Horatio. He was a good hermit crab while we had him. He loved to explore on the carpet and be held by me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

no, if it was only three weeks, then it was most likely PPS or Post-purchase stress. meaning, the crab was just so stressed out from being captured off the beach, sent to a wholesaler, sent to the pet store, and then kept in bad conditions that they just couldn't handle it anymore and didn't make it, even if your conditions had been perfect, he probably would have still died. straws are VERY fragile and the stress of shiping usually does them in.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

Gosh that's so sad! I feel so bad for Horatio now, to have to go through all of that. I can't imagine being stolen from my home by strangers then flown half-way around the world to a horrible pet store and sold to people who don't know how to care for me!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

i wish they could figure out how to breed hermit crabs in captivity, but so far they can't. so all the ones in the pet stores are harvested from the wild. it is really sad, and if i could release all mine back into the wild, and KNOW they would never be harvested again, i would. i only like to buy captive-bred animals, but with the crabs, they don't exist, so it's better that people who will take care of them as best they can own them, rather than little kids who keep them in a little kritter keeper and get bored with them after a month.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to jessamica8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste_Eden
i got them at petco. there are three petcos around here, one is actually really good. they even have humidifiers in the tank, but the other two are not so good.
I feel ya! I'm a huge reptile lover, and I have one good PetCo near me, and the others are horrible! I've seen garter snakes that have slipped into the tanks of bigger snakes (ones known to eat garters), and when I inform them, they just say "it happens all the time". Not to mention seeing herps in less than ideal temps/humidity levels, covered in mites, with clear respitory infections, etc. It's appaling, the way they treat these animals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste_Eden
i wish they could figure out how to breed hermit crabs in captivity, but so far they can't. so all the ones in the pet stores are harvested from the wild. it is really sad, and if i could release all mine back into the wild, and KNOW they would never be harvested again, i would. i only like to buy captive-bred animals, but with the crabs, they don't exist, so it's better that people who will take care of them as best they can own them, rather than little kids who keep them in a little kritter keeper and get bored with them after a month.
Again, I feel ya! I looked into hermit crabs before, but never owned one. However, the research I did enlightened me enough to notice that the hermit crabs in most of their stores (always located near the herps, hence my notice of them) are kept horribly! I feel the same way with reptiles/amphibians, especially after seeing how they sell them to anyone. Meaning people who've never kept one before, are buying a brand new setup (without giving it time to set up and stabalize) with the animal at the same time, and are taking the store's (almost always inadequate) reccomendations for ideal set-ups.

I too, am against animals that are harvested rather than captive bred, but it still doesn't stop me from wanting to "rescue" some of those poor (and poorly maintained) pet store animals.

Incidentaly, (nothing to do with hermit crab ownership, but for those herp lovers out there) I've kept reptiles for the past 15 years, but recently, I've grown saddened by it. I just don't find it fair to keep animals who would normally have a large territory in a small tank. That said, I've found people frequently buy "exotic" animals without knowing what they are in for. So many of the animals are eventually given up because the new owner realized (eventually ) that they couldn't meet the animal's needs. So, I do foster and rescue herps even though I don't think I'll intentionally purchase another. The animals currently going through the pet trade deserve good homes, even if they are not ideal in regards to natural habitat.

I'm glad you are willing to "resuce" and keep these crabs as ideally as possible!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Jessica, Jax, Tilak & Harley~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

i have the straws in a 20 long aquarium with 5" of sand, a 4" deep salt water pool and a 3" deep fresh water pool (both with ways to get out so they don't drown) tonight they are getting FMR pellets, FMR treat, grapes, and oranges (one has already found the grapes and is munching) i am even expirimenting with live plants in the tank. right now i have an orchid planted in a pot of forest bedding in the corner. they also have a large conch shell to play on and some fishnet for climbing and plenty of nice shells. in about a week i'm going to add my large cavipe, and two of my rugosus crabs with the straws because my 20H tank is getting a little crowded. that way my largest crabs are in one tank, and all the little ones are in the other. i've also had more than 15 sucessful molts (and 2 molts where the crabs each lost 2 legs, but both are still alive and active and will regrow the legs in their next molt) i've had 5 crabs die, most for completely unknown reasons, at least one was attacked by another and had his legs all pulled off during the night. the other four, i have no idea what happened to them. so, all in all i think i'm doing pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page